They're SPAWNING!!!

seastar

My Crown Tails are spawning right now. It is so exciting!!! I put them together Tuesday and nothing - until today. It is soooo cool. The female is busy collecting the eggs and spitting them into the nest. The male did not show any interest in collecting the eggs at first. Now he is also picking up eggs and putting them into the nest. I thought the female was eating the eggs, but I watched her spit them out, and some fell and she took them up again and put them back in the bubbles. So far they are good parents. The female is one of the Bettas I bought at Big Al's last Friday. She is a pretty little girl.

• 2 weeks later...

I left the male in for two days. And I have been checking the bubble nest several times a day. But I am afraid the male must have eaten all of the eggs because there are no signs of life in there. Oh well... I am going to breed him again because I think he just needs the experience before he gets it right. I did feed him the two days he was with the eggs.

Yeah, your not supposed to feed him while he is with the egg's apparently it confuses him, and he eats the eggs I am not one hundred percent sure this is true, but I would certainly go with it!! It won't hurt him to not feed him while he is busy with his babies. Fish can go without food for a few days up to a week ...

Good Luck on the next batch.. :thumbs:

Betta people are of 2 different opinions on the feeding of them during spawning. Personally I feel an egg eater will do it whether or not he's fed. I do feed mine during spawning but make sure that the food is away from the nest(fairly close though).

Betta people are of 2 different opinions on the feeding of them during spawning. Personally I feel an egg eater will do it whether or not he's fed. I do feed mine during spawning but make sure that the food is away from the nest(fairly close though).

I have tried not feeding the male and also this time feeding the male - and sometimes they just eat the eggs anyway. But he is still young, I am hoping he will do better next time.

I have a pair in one of my spawn tanks and he really isn't getting the hint. 2 days and no bubblenest!! Aargh, hopefully the pair in the other tank is more cooperative and at least one pair has started a nest when I get home. Next time around, I'm breeding guppies!!!

I have a pair in one of my spawn tanks and he really isn't getting the hint. 2 days and no bubblenest!! Aargh, hopefully the pair in the other tank is more cooperative and at least one pair has started a nest when I get home. Next time around, I'm breeding guppies!!!

I hope all goes well...It is somewhat frustrating isn't it!

One thing I noticed the other day when I was feeding my Crown Tail male. He is not in a breeding tank, just in his regular tank. There was a good size bubble nest in one corner. I sprinkled a few New Life Spectrum pellets on the water, (not near the bubbles) and the bubbles started to quickly break up. And within a short time the bubble nest was gone. Just thought that was interesting and wanted to pass it on.

Hahaha...I've got a horde of 'em! Hopefully many of them will find homes at the auction ;)

In my mass breeding attempts, I got 3 pair to spawn in 9 days and I have those spawns growing out(including your fish so be nice to me, lol!!). Now I've got 2 pair who don't even want to go for coffee much less spawn!! Anything interesting for the auction???? I think I'll have a couple SD or HM girls and one breeding pair that I'll put in. If these pairs don't cooperate, I may have more pairs, urgh!!!

In my mass breeding attempts, I got 3 pair to spawn in 9 days and I have those spawns growing out(including your fish so be nice to me, lol!!). Now I've got 2 pair who don't even want to go for coffee much less spawn!! Anything interesting for the auction???? I think I'll have a couple SD or HM girls and one breeding pair that I'll put in. If these pairs don't cooperate, I may have more pairs, urgh!!!

I meant that I have a horde of guppies...they just don't stop! I tried spawning my CT's for the last week and a half, then they finally did it on Monday afternoon...300 eggs, and then by last night the last eggs were devoured! aaarrgghh. I have a few trios of peacocks, a few small community tank fish (some are relatively $$$)...that's all I can think of for now.