Red Jewel

Crystal

I am thinking about getting a pair of red jewels. Particularly Hemichromis Bimaculatus. The only way they will get in the house is if my mom thinks they are colorful.

Can anyone post pictures of their fish? I really am curious as to adult fish in non-breeding dress. Do they really look that iridescent or is it the flash?

I am thinking about getting a pair of red jewels. Particularly Hemichromis Bimaculatus. The only way they will get in the house is if my mom thinks they are colorful.

Can anyone post pictures of their fish? I really am curious as to adult fish in non-breeding dress. Do they really look that iridescent or is it the flash?

100_0421.jpg

One of my adults

My pair look almost identical to the picture and the blue spots are really really shiny and show up beautifully in any light. My pair are breeding and i have one that is at one inch so if you have some trouble finding a mated pair in a few months i should have a few i can part with. Just be sure they end up in a tank no smaller than 20 gallons(by themselves) and much bigger if you plan to keep the other fish healthy when the parents deside to have fry.

As to the question of non breeding dress for these fish. Well if you have a mated pair their colour should be pretty vivid all the time. What you see in the store is not always what you get in a tank when the jewels pair up.

Any questions you can pm me.

good luck

L

Edited by Ishkabod

100_0421.jpg

One of my adults

Is this fish in breeding dress? If it is that colorful when not in breeding dress, I have a good chance of gettign them!

Is this fish in breeding dress? If it is that colorful when not in breeding dress, I have a good chance of gettign them!

She is about 3-4" in this pic and was close to laying. Here is one of my juvies @ 1.5-2" not in dress...Still nice and red, but they truly "GLOW" when they are ready to breed!

100_0768.jpg

I find when you don't have a pair, or a subdominant male they are not very beautiful, but usually when you have a pair they stay a deeper red with blue speckles most of the time. And when they are in breeding dress they turn a gorgeous red.

Female not in breeding dress

DSC01522.jpg