Mbuna and red empress'

jonnytens

I was wondering what experience's people have had with keeping a group of red empress' (or other similar fish) with a bunch of mbuna (list of what of have in sig). I know it's not recomended but I have heard of many people doing with no problems. Let me know.

Jon

I was wondering what experience's people have had with keeping a group of red empress' (or other similar fish) with a bunch of mbuna (list of what of have in sig). I know it's not recomended but I have heard of many people doing with no problems. Let me know.

Jon

I have done it with no problems.

Males might not display true color with the kenyi present - pretty aggressive as they get bigger. Just my personal experience of course. Sold the kenyi and they got much better color to them. Tank size would likely have a bearing on results too - mine was a 120G. but only 4'.

I have my breeding super reds in with some cyprochromis utinta, polits, usisya, white calvus and a whack of little 2"multipunctatus and everybody seems happy and breeding away. (except the multis of course).

I keep a male red empress in a 90g with Yellow labs and Acei. They all kind of keep to themselves. The labs chase the labs, the acei chase the and the red empress just swims around and is the king of the tank.

The kenyii are fairly aggressive so you may or may not have problems depending on the temperament of your red empress. If you have a wimpy Red empress then even "peaceful" mbuna might be a problem.