wild betta power point show at CAS

fleshgear

were those all wild betta's in the presentation? what is the difference between wild and plakets? i ave one that looks just like one of the one in the pps.

were those all wild betta's in the presentation? what is the difference between wild and plakets? i ave one that looks just like one of the one in the pps.

I believe Plakat is the term they use for short-finned Betta splendens or something like that. Like the halfmoon strain.

Plakat's we buy here are usually domestic, they are the orginal splenden but through hundreds of years of breeding do we see the longer fined betta..through time, theory... but the best one so far!! The long finned betta became one type and the Plakat are another type, but genetically they are the same species.. Plakat's are usually the ones they use in Asia Betta Fighting, they are extensively conditioned as fighters, so they are more aggressive as the long fins aren't as aggressive due to long finage etc.. hard to fight risk more injury etc.

Here is a great history on them :thumbs:

PLakat and Splendens history link

Some of the fish you see at the lfs could be crosses. Imbellis, smaragdina and other bubblenesters have been crossed with splendens and most of them are hybrids. The mouthbrooders are not crossed with splendens as they'd argue about how to breed.

so how can you be sure what you are getting? i am sure that the lfs ones are nothing special but some of the ones from the slide show looked like plakats

I did not see the presentation, so I really can't say what you saw... sorry I thought you wanted to know if Plakat's were wild or not..they are domestic for the most part, I will provide you a link to the different body types of a Plakat...

Some of the Plakat's are hybrids, I have a DTPKIMbellis who I breed with my half moon female..

Anyways, you can tell by the colorations, the body shape.. the finnage and the shape of the head...

here is a link maybe this guys guide can help you...

Plakat Thai!

Check out www.ibcbettas.org and go to the species maintenance page and the species link. Most of the wild bettas are listed and there are links to their profiles. Have some excellent up to date information. Hope this helps!!

here is a link maybe this guys guide can help you...

Plakat Thai!

Can't say I approve of the parts about conditioning of fish for fighting, etc. but you gotta love his greeting: "You come I'm so please, I'm regret when you leave."

Yes, it's a tradition they have had since early 1200, it certainly not favored by North Amercians and I am sure Europeans, but these fighters are very well cared for.. they train them and they are given the best foods.. conditioned.

Even though they use them for fighting, they are also very careful in doing it, if you know your betta's they do NOT fight to the death as everyone is lead to believe. They have a max set time for fights, as soon as one betta gives up, which they show certain signs of, they are immediately separated and the bet on the two fish is complete.

They are then conditioned back to health quickly... they want their fighters to fight again so they take very good care of their fish especially if he has won a few battles, after all its cash quickly earned...

IF you watch a betta spawn, the female can sometimes be hurt really badly.. fins torn scales missing.. she is laboured in breathing, hiding under anything she can find...

Because of the betta's natural aggressiveness, they have an amazing recovery.. riped fins grow back quickly.. scales return to normal at an amazing rate.. so, when you see a beat up torn up betta.. it won't die... only time it would if the person's water quality is poor.. their diet is lacking..

I've personally had betta's jump from one jar into their mates jar without my knowledge.. only to find the victor above, flaring at the buddy in the other jar while the loser sits at the bottom of the same jar sulking.. hardly touched.. the victor is no longer interested in fighting.

The betta also senses when the other is given up on the challenge.. and rebuffs the aggression, if the other betta does not give up they will resume the fight till one of the two betta gives in... not always, this is why,I STILL DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS... it can be dangerous to your fish so don't unless you know what your doing !!