Algae screen filter for SW or FW

RDFISHGUY

I don't think I'd set it up as my main source of filtration because it has to be cleaned weekly. I usually work out of town which means my wife is going to have to clean it. I think it will certainly help any system if used properly. What the heck it can't hurt.

Here it is up and running in no time at all. I didn't glue it all together because its in the sump and if it leaks -who cares? Plus I can remove the screen for easy cleaning.The pump was a little too big for this application but I had parts left over from the overflow build and the pump was free- In case you haven't heard we're in a recession LOL! Without the ball valve on the top water shot straight across to the far side and sprayed all over. Even with other valve wide open. I could redo it but it works this way. I didn't anticipate so much pressure from this pump. PO4=somewhere between 0.5-1.0 mg/L and NO3=5ppm

IMG_9880_1.jpg

IMG_9882_1.jpg

IMG_9884_1.jpg

Edited by RDFISHGUY

Here it is up and running in no time at all. I didn't glue it all together because its in the sump and if it leaks -who cares? Plus I can remove the screen for easy cleaning.The pump was a little too big for this application but I had parts left over from the overflow build and the pump was free- In case you haven't heard we're in a recession LOL! Without the ball valve on the top water shot straight across to the far side and sprayed all over. Even with other valve wide open. I could redo it but it works this way. I didn't anticipate so much pressure from this pump. PO4=somewhere between 0.5-1.0 mg/L and NO3=5ppm

What lights did you use?

What type of screen did you use?

I toyed with the idea, mostly because I have to clean the growth off my tank sides everyday in my SW tank. But decided against it as that phytoplankton I introduce to the water stream when I clean it off the tank sides is an important food source for my corals - I used to pay good money for live phytoplankton when I could get it.

In a FW, fish only or Fowler SW tank it seem likes a good idea.

What lights did you use?

What type of screen did you use?

I got the lights at Canadian Tire $13.95 each clip-on lampholder. Bulbs $9.00 ea- GE enenrgy saver 1300 lumens 26 watts. The screen is a crochet screen from Michaels crafts 69 cents. Its day 6 and its green with algae.

It worked good. Too good! My whole sump was a algae mat. I removed it as it was more trouble than having algae in the tank. I replaced it with a DIY bio tower. It was easy to build with some old stackable IKEA bins that I had laying around. I had the bio balls that came with the filter and reused the pump from the algae screen filter.