Styrofoam Background

randy

Started with a chunk of Styrofoam

Aquariumbackground1.jpg

Carved out rocks with a knife and screwdriver, then sanded to make it a little smoother made room on the right for the HOB filter to fit ended up with this

Aquariumbackground2.jpg

Then I realized needed a place for the heater. Cut off the left side and siliconed a second layer of rocks to cover the heater.

Aquariumbackground3.jpg

Covered the whole thing in cement. (learning curve here on cement!! more to follow)

Aquariumbackground4.jpg

I then covered it again with 2 part epoxy.

Aquariumbackground5.jpg

Before the epoxy dried sprinkled the whole thing with very fine black aquarium substrate. (you can see where the heater will be)

Aquariumbackground6.jpg

I then let it sit for 2 days to completely dry (here is where I found out I used the wrong cement!!!! as it all just turned to powder) so I pealed off the epoxy and gravel, pealed off quite easily. The cement I used was for plugging holes, you make it into a ball and shove it into the hole.

After all the epoxy/cement/gravel was all cleaned off I applied the 2 part epoxy and black gravel again, skipped the cement part. Finally ended up with this

Aquariumbackground7.jpg

Filled up tank with water.......more to follow

• 3 weeks later...

Got the chunk of Styrofoam from a construction site of a new building going up across the street (I did ask before I pinched it). I had the black substrate small bag of it, the only expense was the 2 part epoxy and a tube of silicone total cost was under $20.