new stand almost completed.

Oxquo

Just a couple more pieces of trim to go across the bottom but had to get the pics out of my system now. The 37 gallon tank stand would have gone alot quicker had it not been for all the other stands I have been making for the store. This one was actually pretty easy, especially the sliding doors biggest set back was trying to use construction grade 2x4's even for the trim and 2x2's. The rest is done with birch plywood, this stuff is by far my favorite ply and the pic does it no justice at all. I had just sent out my first fireplace tank stand done in oak and although easier to work with shop grade lumber found the color half as appealing. Will post the finished pic tomorrow after I get the dog feeding stands done.

post-29-1111832902

From 1-10, 1 being hard, I would rate this stand a 8, a 9 if you went into extreme detail. It measures, 60" by 16" by 48" high. It could be built with a table saw, mitre saw, a drill and hammer unless you had a brad nailer handy. I would definitely say there is more pride in building your own, flaws or not. Truthfully, only you will notice the flaws, others will notice your Discus.

post-29-1111833324

Great job! Looks fantastic!

I'm about to start on a tank stand my self for a 90 gallon. Any hints?

Yeah, go cheap. Truth is that pine and spruce can be stained any color and the grain is much nicer than most of the hardwoods not to mention easier to work with and a fraction of the price. Just remember to buy some Minwax pre stain so you get an even coat. To better hide any staining flaws,you can always go natural with just a few coats of clear. Stay away from particle board and stick to plywood, Fir good one side has awesome grain but is a bit hard to sand smooth, fir is called fir for a reason, the more you work it the more it sucks. Best tip is to remember, you will be the one noticing all the little flaws, the ones you never notice when you buy something. Lumber has flaws no matter how good the quality. I sanded 1/64th down on My counter top and killed a sheet of veneer in my oak ply. You just never know when or where the flaws will show up. If all else fails, add lots of trim. The old if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with......lots of trim lol. Best way to take eyes off your little errors is to add a killer looking tank to the mix, no one will notice then.

Never be afraid to add an extra support either. A 2x4 on end with a balanced load can hold 5,000 lbs of weight, Seeing that a tank is never a balanced load due to decor and such, more supports is better. Plan your stand well, but be ready to change it. Use lots of woodscrews "deckscrews" but don't tack them in tight until you are ready to add your veneer, this gives you a chance to make changes. Make sure at that point you can get in to your tank and have room to place decorations in still. Place good overhead supports to hang light fixtures and fan mounts if needed. Best of all enjoy, there is alot of pride in a stand one has made themselves, whether for you or someone else. I have just started working on a retro 50's TV stand for a 30 gallon, the fun never stops, hope to have pics soon.

Can't say what kind of stand looks good with a 90 gallon, the fireplace stand might work well but it could be up to 80" long and may not look right, then again I've never made one for that size yet.

post-29-1111884649