Water Quality

RickJ

I've been measuring my water when I do my weekly/bi-weekly change and I'm wondering if my measuring kit is working properly.

My fish are all doing great, looking healthy showing great colours so I don't think my water is a problem, but my last measurements showed zero ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Thee first two being at 2 is good but is it possible to maintain and aquarium with no nitrates?

Rick

I'm always saying I'm not a technical fishkeeper and I have a question for you. If everybody's fine, why test? I'm a big fan of "leave well enough alone." and also have never owned a test kit. However, if you want to see if the test kits working, I believe some of the stores will test your water. Not sure of which stores. Perhaps someone else knows???

I've been measuring my water when I do my weekly/bi-weekly change and I'm wondering if my measuring kit is working properly.

My fish are all doing great, looking healthy showing great colours so I don't think my water is a problem, but my last measurements showed zero ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Thee first two being at 2 is good but is it possible to maintain and aquarium with no nitrates?

Rick

The problem could be that you're testing the water when you do a water change.

If you do a W/C on the weekend, Do your test in the middle of the week.

It could also be that your test kit has expired and you are getting false readings.

Personally I use the neon method. If the neons are alive everything is ok.

I still test my water once a week to be sure.

Sorry for the type - yes it should have been the first two are at zero.

I do the test before I do the water change, I checked my kit has not expired, I don't have plants, but I'm also not heavily stocked.

I'll maybe take some water to Big Al's and see if their numbers jive with mine.

Rick