looking for help with planted tank substrate decision

Cgy_Betta_Guy

I think Big Al's had some on Saturday. You could call them and find out.

I called and they said they had plenty. I specifically asked the gal if it was the gravel not the sand... reply was yes its the gravel and we have plenty... I drove across the city to find that no... it was the sand. GRRR... I asked one of the guys to check the back and he came back with one bag so it wasnt a completely wasted trip.

Nature's has some, saw it yesterday.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nature's has some, saw it yesterday.

Nature's?? havent heard of that one... where are they?

Edmonton is a big place...

Nature's Corner Store

9082-51 Ave NW

Edmonton, AB T6E 5X4

780-433-3474

www.NaturesCornerStore.com

ah thanks.. Edmonton is a bit out of my way since I am in Calgary... thanks anyways.

Sorry, my bad! You'd think tho, with how many LFS's you guys got down there, that finding the Fluorite wouldn't be such a hassle...

yeah... the color seems to be pretty popular and its been warm out so maybe everyone feels its time to wash gravel outside for their tanks. Certainly makes it easier rinsing stuff outside. Most of the stores down here have plenty of the fluorite dark but no black.

byte:

Do you have that foil inside under the gravel or under your tank?

The foil insulation goes between the stand and the bottom of the tank. I have even used it as a background. It is plastic bubble wrap with foil on both sides. Some has 2 layers of bubble wrap, but most have 1.

Edited by byte

Dean:

yeah I figured that would be a low light tank.. I had thought I would be able to upgrade the bulbs or the canopy later on if needed. right now I have 2 x 20W 6700K bulbs in there. I am wondering if swapping one to a 20W 18000K would help with plant growth?

18,000K will not do well for plant growth. Those are better when trying to grow corals and stuff for marine tanks. Anywhere from 5000K-8000K is what I prefer to use. Usually getting on the lower end of the spectrum is preffered. I have tried 10,000K before but they still don't do as well as the 6700K.

18,000K will not do well for plant growth. Those are better when trying to grow corals and stuff for marine tanks. Anywhere from 5000K-8000K is what I prefer to use. Usually getting on the lower end of the spectrum is preffered. I have tried 10,000K before but they still don't do as well as the 6700K.

Ah thanks for the correction Firestorm.

I managed to snag a couple more bags of Fluorite black over the long weekend so I was able to setup my tank. Didn't think it would take that long but at least its all setup and I think I may have gotten a few too many plants. Hopefully I manage to keep more than half of them alive LOL. After finishing my planting which was pretty close to a full day project, I grabbed my equipment and moved it from a little 15 gallon I had been cycling for a few days to my main. It may have stalled out the cycle as I no longer had any nitrite readings since it was new water. It now seems to have recovered and nitrite is now steadily climbing.

here are my readings:

15 gallon dosed with 10ml of ammonia to start

April 7 @ 9PM Ammonia 8+ nitrite 0 nitrate not tested

April 8 @ 9PM Ammonia 8+ nitrite 0 nitrate not tested

April 9 @ 10PM Ammonia 6 nitrite 0 nitrate 5

April 10 @ 11AM Ammonia 4 nitrite 0.12 nitrate 5

April 10 @ 6PM Ammonia 4 nitrite 0.12 nitrate 5

after switching to main 30 gallon with filled canister filter and bringing all decorations and equipment over

April 11 @ 1AM Ammonia 2 nitrite 0 nitrate 5 --dosed another 5ml of ammonia after testing

April 11 @ 11AM Ammonia 4 nitrite 0 nitrate 5

April 11 @ 11PM Ammonia 3.5 nitrite 0 nitrate 5

April 12 @ 11AM Ammonia 2 nitrite 0.12 nitrate 7-8

April 12 @ 11PM Ammonia 2 nitrite 0.25 nitrate 7-8

April 13 @ 6PM Ammonia 2 nitrite 0.5 nitrate 7-8 --dosed another 3ml of ammonia after testing

April 14 @ 2AM Ammonia 4 nitrite 1 nitrate 7-8 pH 7.8

is that level of nitrate right from the start normal or is that something that the plants are contributing to? just seemed odd that it was already at 5 with entirely new water from the tap. But then again I haven't done any tests on tap water. What level of nitrite should I expect to see when it finally peaks?

Just wanted to thank everyone for your knowledge transfer as it contributed greatly towards what I have bought for the tank. Cant wait to get some fish in there!

and can anyone tell me if this guy is Malaysian? Besides the usual pond snails, I had about 5 of these hitchhikers that were still in the empty bag after 5 days before noticing. He and his friends currently reside in a yogurt container sitting on my table until I decide I want them or not. :smokey:

I think I may have gotten a few too many plants.

Baloney. I can still see the back of your tank- you can put waaaaay more plants in there. :smokey:

As for the cycling- some of your reduced ammonia levels will be from the plants consuming it. With that said, if you're going to be stocking the tank slowly, there's no reason why you can't just skip the fishless cycle in favor of a silent cycle.

Baloney. I can still see the back of your tank- you can put waaaaay more plants in there. :smokey:

As for the cycling- some of your reduced ammonia levels will be from the plants consuming it. With that said, if you're going to be stocking the tank slowly, there's no reason why you can't just skip the fishless cycle in favor of a silent cycle.

Haha... I was wondering if anyone would jump on that statement. I am allowing for some growth and actually like the way the tank looks now. I imagine I will get over run eventually. I am a bit concerned about my cryptocoryne undulata though... it seems to have turned significantly brown and the leaves have started melting and dying off. You can see it in the picture behind the little white tower. Could my dosing excel have done this to it ? I have only heard of excel melting vals. It says 5ml/10 gal so I put in 10 ml to be on the low side for my 30 gallon. Also read somewhere crypts... or was that java ferns... sometimes die off and then get stronger once they start to grow in a new tank? my other crypt variants seem to be doing fine as well as the small undulata offshoot that is sitting between the white tower and the rock. <shrug>

I like the idea of the silent cycle cuz it lets me put fish in immediately... I pondered if I had enough plants in there to be able to just start placing fish in without cycling. I already moved my male betta in there for fun and he seems to like it and riding my outflow current across the tank. I do want the plants to establish some roots before putting too many fish in there but I am definitely considering dropping 2 Endlers I saw at Als in there. Maybe in a few days.

I am a bit concerned about my cryptocoryne undulata though... it seems to have turned significantly brown and the leaves have started melting and dying off.

Crypts are notorious for melting when they encounter a change in water parameters. Just let them be and they will grow back.

I like the idea of the silent cycle cuz it lets me put fish in immediately... I pondered if I had enough plants in there to be able to just start placing fish in without cycling. I already moved my male betta in there for fun and he seems to like it and riding my outflow current across the tank.

Ummm... I'm hoping you did a big water change first to get the ammonia out of there????