Daffodil Brichardi

Wingin' It

Yesterday, just before heading out to an evening movie...I stood in front of my cichlid tank and was admiring my collection of Tangs...and noticed that most of the fish were hanging out in only one half of the aquarium. I further investigated and all of a sudden I noticed a small cloud. A small cloud of fry and the Daffodil Brichardi parents guarding them! Whoa! I didn't think that they were even ready to breed 'cause they're only half the size they'll end up being! This is the first time i've kept Brichardi, so this type of behaviour is new to me. I'm still 'uber' happy they bred, and the fry hatched...but now feel bad for the other fish that they only get to hang out in half the tank.

Anyone know how long the parents will be so protective of their fry?

I tried to get a picture of the fry, but they're sooo small and quick!

DSCN1420.jpg

How do I get these fry out?

With great difficulty lmao. You can either try to net them out or using your siphon try to siphon some out into a bucket. What other fish are in the tank? If the brichardi are the most aggressive ones in the tank and you don't have any nocturnal fish, or very fast moving fish you might have a chance at quite a few of the fry surviving, but most times than not they will mostly all be consumed (a few sometimes manage to survive by hiding in rocks). Considering it's most likely their first spawn they might not be super good with protecting them, but they learn as they go to protect them well.

Congrats on the spawn :thumbs:

It's definately their first spawn, and a suprising one to say the least.

tank mates include:

4-5 Leleupi (still young)

4-5 Juli's (Juvie's)

2 Brevis

4 Bronze Cory (Juvie's)

1 yoyo loach

1 pleco

So far they've been really good at protecting the fry, they chase everyone who comes within 5 inches away...but i'm not holding my breath. The fry keep hiding in the rocks, so syphoning might be a bit more difficult. When I had my Mbuna's only a few ever made it to "haha...you can't eat me" stage. lol Maybe i'll just wait and see what happens. There'll always be another spawn i'm sure. ;)

With that camp, you may get away with keeping a few in there, but I suspect that once the parents stop guarding them, they'll become food for all but the cats.

i have had these breed for me on 2 occasions and always after 4-5 weeks the adult males would eat all the male fry. after 40-50 fry i had only a few left. it might be easier for you to seperate the adult males and any cats which might want the fry for food.

I tried syphoning my fry out this afternoon...but only got 3 'cause the little guys are quick! and the parents are really quick at getting 'em to hide out until my syphon left the tank. Oh well...I guess it's going to have to be survival of the fittest.

• 2 weeks later...