new sump idea? what do you think?

rED O

My dad and I were drawing out ideas for a sump. We thought of a new way of a out take for the water. Instead of a cane pipe in the end being sectioned off why not this.

Think of a bathtub, the water comes in threw the tap. When the water gets to close to the top, there is a hole under the tap to drain it. So we were thinking of copying that same concept. It would regulate it self. the water flows in and goes out the hole at a constant rate. So drill a hole about 6-8 inchs from the top, make a drain, and a elbow pvc pipe in the hole then a straight pipe into the sump ect. I would just have to but a screen over the the hole so fish would not go in it :)

any thoughts on our idea? all ideas welcome.

Why so far from the top? Do you want your tank to only fill that high?

I'm not really sure what's so different about your idea? A hole drilled in the side of the tank at the level that you want your water? That's a pretty common method of drilling a glass tank when you don't know if the bottom is tempered or not - if you drill a hole on the side you can then have a 90 elbow IN the tank as well, with the top of the elbow used to control the height of the water rather than the placement of the hole on the side.

My dad and I were drawing out ideas for a sump. We thought of a new way of a out take for the water. Instead of a cane pipe in the end being sectioned off why not this.

Think of a bathtub, the water comes in threw the tap. When the water gets to close to the top, there is a hole under the tap to drain it. So we were thinking of copying that same concept. It would regulate it self. the water flows in and goes out the hole at a constant rate. So drill a hole about 6-8 inchs from the top, make a drain, and a elbow pvc pipe in the hole then a straight pipe into the sump ect. I would just have to but a screen over the the hole so fish would not go in it :)

any thoughts on our idea? all ideas welcome.

Functionally, that is no different than useing a standpipe. The main reason for having a curve in the standpipe is to cut down on the noise of the water falling through the pipe, if you were to drill through the side of the tank I would still suggest useing a bulkhead and curved pipe on the inside of the tank to cut down on the noise. I would be concerned though, about the structural integrity of the tank wall after having a hole drilled through it and still having the same load on it.

thanks, i might look at a few things. I am trying to make this as simple as possible. we were also thinking just a stand pipe in the back of the tank so water drains into in, threw the bottom of the tank right into the sump. same Idea. what about that? sorry, I am new to sumps.

ALSO* how do I calculate the size of plumbing I need for the syphon to regulate The flow? I need to know how I would figure that out, what size piping into and out the sump. It one thing for someone to tell me what i need but how do i figure it out? My sump is 70 gallons and the pump is 2640 gph.

Edited by rED O