Gills hanging out

Spader

HELP,

I have a pair of Neo. Pulcher in 10 gal, they have been in there for 6 months, with no problems but one. Now two, the end of their gills appear to be sticking out of the gill plates, and are white. The previous problem was when the heater was knocked and the tempeture rose to 92- 94, killing all the fry in the tank and then followed by a mini cycle. During the "re- cycling" of the tank the male scratched himself and fungal infection followed. This was treated with "melafix". The fungal infection was all cleared up 5 days ago and I thought that I was out of the water but it appears not. I checked the water, all is in good order. I gave a dose of "Melafix" and wrote this post. Please help. Why are their gills sticking out?

Thanks

WEll i looked around and all i could find was this

Bacterial Gill Disease

Bacterial gill disease is caused by bacteria (e.g.Flexibacter species). Bacterial erosion of the delicate gill membrane causes suffocation of the fish. Bacterial gill disease often occurs after the gills have been damaged by poor water quality. Affected gills are pale or grey/brown in colour with heavy mucus production and clear signs of erosion.

Treatment of Bacterial Gill Disease

Treatment with medicines (such as Interpet's Anti Internal Bacteria No.9) plus the addition of 0.2% aquarium salt is recommended. Water conditions must be checked, as poor water contributes greatly to the onset of this disease.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/fish_diseases.htm

Thanks, I did a 60% water change, and added a teaspoon of homemade melafix. I hope this will work. Thanks again I will endevore to keep you informed. WRT your questions, they seem fine, no laboured breathing, doing their breeding dance. They just have white, protruding gills.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,It may be a month to late but I've heard of fish dieing when the temp.gets around 92 F.Most of the parasites that attack fish can't tolerate such temps.A 10 gal tank is really to unstable to keep any fish in.

It's bordering on cruelty to keep most any African cichlid in less than a 30g.Due to aggression problems alone, except maybe the smallest of the shell dwellers.

Hope your brichardi are now doing well and that their gills aren't permanently damaged from the busted heater. :(

• 2 weeks later...

They seem back to normal, breeding, swiming and guarding their fry. The fry are free swiming and adventurous. They are about a week or so old. I don't really know as I'm out of town and my wife is taking care of the fish. Just keeping you up to date. Later