Osiris Sword

corrosionjerry

My 21" Osiris sent up a shoot in the last couple of days to the top of the tank with a bud.... is this going to flower or is this what happens before they send out babies?

If you're lucky, it should flower.

But the babies usually grow out from the stalk that shoots up if I'm not mistaken.

Once it gets out of the water, it will flower. It should produce some babies as well if the air is not too dry. If you want more babies, make the spike lay in the water (this will reduce the flowers, though.)

Not sure if E. osiris is self fertile, but you could try cross pollinating the flowers once they appear.

Thank you for the info.... Are the flowers nice on these plants?

If I decide to put the spike or shoot in the substrate do I completly cover it and just leave the bud exposed?

If you leave the buds develop in the water, (stem attached to the mother-plant) they will grow leaves and roots.(floating at the top....when the shoots have multiple leaves, they are gently pealed off the stock and can be planted directly in the soil. Each node will have 2 shoots attached to one and other, you may end up with 6-10 plant-lets in very little time. No cross-pollination required.

A second shoot may follow rather quickly and if you let it grow above the tank and mist it a lot, the white flowers are nice but not spectacular.

BTW the fish are doing well!

John

Edited by geleen

I have some pics of my E. 'rose' when it was blooming. Yours should look similar. See this thread.

If you leave the buds develop in the water, (stem attached to the mother-plant) they will grow leaves and roots.(floating at the top....when the shoots have multiple leaves, they are gently pealed off the stock and can be planted directly in the soil. Each node will have 2 shoots attached to one and other, you may end up with 6-10 plant-lets in very little time. No cross-pollination required.

You can cut off the flower spike and let it float if necessary, but leaving it attached to the mother plant is best. Wait until the little plantlets have some good roots before removing them, otherwise they're hard to keep in the gravel.

Yeah, you don't have to pollinate it, I was trying to get seeds. Didn't work. :(

If I decide to put the spike or shoot in the substrate do I completly cover it and just leave the bud exposed?

A second shoot may follow rather quickly and if you let it grow above the tank and mist it a lot, the white flowers are nice but not spectacular.

BTW the fish are doing well!

John

Thanks John... glad you like the fish.... the ladies of the household loved your gift.. I am going to be posting a fish picture later today.... you will like it!

When the plants start to form, you should try to keep them submerged - the leaves grow bigger and roots develop faster.

• 3 weeks later...