new tank setup

tazgirl246

Help!!! We set up a new tank yesterday, we put in a parrot, oscar, balla shark, 2 silver dollars, 2 gold fish, and a pleco. This morning, the bala and silver dollars are DEAD. also the water is gone cloudy. We pulled all the surviving fish out and put them in an existing tank for now. Please, if anyone has any suggestions or help. Thank you.

Help!!! We set up a new tank yesterday, we put in a parrot, oscar, balla shark, 2 silver dollars, 2 gold fish, and a pleco. This morning, the bala and silver dollars are DEAD. also the water is gone cloudy. We pulled all the surviving fish out and put them in an existing tank for now. Please, if anyone has any suggestions or help. Thank you.

You need to cycle your tank before you add that many fish into a new tank.

When you set up a new tank it has to be cycled first. The cloudiness is bacterial bloom. One way to cycle a new tank is to get a few fish that are able to tollerate poor water conditions (danio's or gold fish) and put them in the new tank untill the water tests are good. (0 amonia, 0 nitrite and low nitrates 20-30) Good luck with the tank, I hope this was helpful and not taken the wrong way. :smokey: This process can take a couple of weeks. Another thing you could do is take water and part of your established filter from your other tank and set up the new one. This is a much faster way of cycling a new tank. The water from you cycled tank will help to keep the bacteria in the filter alive. You dont need to fill the new tank with old water but 25-50% would be good. :thumbs:

Edited by Kraken

don't know alot about FW but aren't oscars predators?

Yes they are predators but will go fine with all the fish she bought, since they will all get to a size they can't be swallowed.

A definite bacteria bloom and I would have to blame the fish store you bought the tank and fish from for not telling you to cycle your tank first. You can either do a fish cycle or a fishless cycle. With a fishless cycle you at least won't be risking the life of a fish to do it, but there are some fish that make hardy cycling fish, zebra danios were always one of my favs. http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php

Do an immediate 50% water change if you can, and every day try to do a 25% water change until you get low readings on your nitrites and none on ammonia. I would suggest using aquarium salt as well to help when the nitrites do spike, as it helps to detoxify it's effects on fish. What size is your tank? What kind of filter do you have? With the combo of fish you have the minimum tank size I would do is 100 gallons. If you have an existing tank already might I suggest using some of the sponges or bio media from that filter in your new filter? It should help to speed up the cycling process and you should be able to add your fish back almost immediately.

Edited by firestorm

I was under the understanding goldfish are not of the tropical variety that like such warm temperatures...

Might be a good idea to bring fish that are still alive back to fish store Or at very least buy some stability...to try and keep them alive

There is plenty to read about new tank setups on this forum and many other websites... Might be a good read to save you some wasted $'s