SAEs in a tank of large tetras

'chellebells

I bought a couple of SAEs yesterday, and when I put them into my tank, the diamond tetras chased them like crazy! Today I have only seen one SAE. I researched, and found the two fish are supposed to be compatible. Could my diamonds have tormented the other one to death? or is it just more shy then the other SAE? :unsure:

I also bought colombian tetras yesterday, and although they are waayyyy smaller than my fully grown diamonds and black skirts, the three groups were best friends instantly. :thumbs:

Real Siamese algae eaters are actually quite peaceful.... full grown they get to be around 4"..... can easily keep a couple of them in a long twenty with other community fish.... If your purpose is for them to keep the algae down in your tank... they do that well as young fish however they tend to take a likeness to regular fish foods as they grow and leave the algae alone unless they are desperate...

It's not the SAEs that were being bothersome. They ARE very peaceful (and ACTIVE). It was my nippy diamond tetras that were the problem. :) They seem to have settled their differences though.

*edited for spelling. D'oh!

I keep my saes with some larger semi aggressive south american cichlids. Don't think you should worry about them. They've been in there even during breeding.

I don't find them to be aggressive. Most of the time when you add new fish to a tank the other fish will chase them for a while. Usually after a few hours or a day the others settle down. I kept SAE's in with more peaceful fish with no problems, but they will eat up certain plants :( Mine devoured my rotala wallichii. Other than that they are a good fish to keep. A couple of them will do just fine in 20-30 gallons.