Fred is increasingly poor health

T Dawg

One of Fred's companions, Mrs. Blue, was sitting on the bottom a lot for the past week or so. She would swim to the top for food, but would just sit on the bottom most of the time. She passed today.

Fred has always had a disintegrating tail, but today his belly appears swollen. He is eating and swimming, but the belly swelling is a worry. He does not seem to be rubbing on anything. He is swimming at the top of the tank, were he normally varies depth more. I think it could just be constipation and want to skip a few days of food. I also debated tossing in a skinless pea.

Other guppy and 15 or so fry all seem fine but the two issues could be related, so I figured I would post and get some opinions.

Though it may be terminal, keep in mind that Fred kept many a lady guppy happy and his genetics live on. Fred did his part to ensure that guppies don't go extinct.

Constipation seems to be the cause. Fred had a movement like none I have seen from a fish. Poor guy was all gooped up in his own waste and there was a lot of it. You could not even see his ventral fins under the mass.

He seems happy and healthy once again. Another H too, but it is a family forum. Guess we need another female guppy before this one gets pestered too much.

Just a shot in the dark, but I had similar probloems with a few of my Guppies in my tanks previously. Alot of the time it would be from overfeeding, yeah, I know, not good. I tried blanched cucumber and it worked about 80% of the time. Otherwise, I hate to say it, but it could be dropsy, which I have yet to find anything that is effective for it.

Hope this helps.

Just a shot in the dark, but I had similar probloems with a few of my Guppies in my tanks previously. Alot of the time it would be from overfeeding, yeah, I know, not good. I tried blanched cucumber and it worked about 80% of the time. Otherwise, I hate to say it, but it could be dropsy, which I have yet to find anything that is effective for it.

Hope this helps.

It does. With one less adult, fry, and trying new foods(frozen shrimp cubes) feeding amounts is a likley source to investigate.