Recleaning a used tank?

Guppygirl

I have no idea if this is the right area to put this?

I just bought a 29 gallon tank-used. Nice looking tank but one problem-- I discovered the person who dismantled the tank used what I think was ajax to disinfect it. :boxed: It had some dry scum on the bottom when I got it home. I have since washed most of it out-scum is gone-- multiple rinses with and without declorinator. The only thing is how do I know if all of this chemical is out? I can't really smell it anymore and the powder scum looks to be gone but is it safe for fish? Should I keep rinsing it out? Is there a point in which to stop and just fill it? Will declorinator such as aquaplus get rid of the remaining chemical residue if any???? I have used bleach in the past and multiple rinses have got rid of it, but never a chemical such as ajax? Any ideas greatly welcomed. Thanks. :bow: :bow: :thumbs:

Bleach will evaporate on it's own, what was most likely in the tank was mineral deposit from hard water. If you want to test it fill it up and put a danio or other inexpensive fish in the tank to see how it responds.

I would never use bleach in a fish tank. I would go with vinegar.

Bleach is fine to use as long as you let it evaporate or neutralize it with some water conditioner. I use it all the time when cleaning decorations, its great at killing algae or disinfecting sick tanks.

If you want to test it fill it up and put a danio or other inexpensive fish in the tank to see how it responds.

I agree with Nick, fill it up and put a test fish. It should be fine if all the residue is gone and you've rinsed it lots. You can use a razor blade or scrap any white residue off, if any is left.