Blue Gouramis

HOSStile

This has been my first attempt at breeding these guys. Left big fat female in 10 gallon by herself for 2 weeks. Turned down a/c to minimum and put in male and split styro cup. I cover the front of the tank because breeder is in basement and they were pretty skittish when we went past the tank. I looked into tank and siphoned out half of water.(weekly water change) saw what looked like blue bubbles inside cup. I came back down with bucket of fresh water and noticed that bubbles,eggs? were gone. Should I forgo water changes will they are doing their thing and should I remove them when I see eggs? Your help as always is much appreciated. :well:

Do some searching around the net for info, there should be a lot out there. From what I remember, once they actually decide to do their thing, they're extremely susceptible to outside air changes, and many people cover their entire top with a piece of glass (I think it has to do with humidity and the eggs). I don't think that the AC is the best filter to have on the tank, a sponge fitler and some plants is probably a much better bet (don't need the nest destroyed by the AC!). And definitely don't do the water changes, again you don't want to risk disturbing them too much and destroying the nest.

• 3 weeks later...

If only my gouramis bred like my nyerei. I tried a different female and now the male is blowing bubbles like he was full of dish soap. He is also turning pink around the edges which is interesting for a blue fish. My question to the world at large is should gouramis continue to feed while they are living in the honeymoon suite because they don't appear to be hungry. Needless to say if I get things done I will document everything and take pictures for anyone intersted in breeding labyrinth fish.