Female Saulosi identity crisis

Bandi

Can any one help me. I was told I was buying a male and female saulosi. The male has shown wonderful dominant coloration. The female has been billant yellow for the past couple months that I have had them. But the last two weeks I have noticed that the female has been changing color. Now she is a lovely mauve with stripping on her. Maybe she is a male.... not a female after all?

The first photos was taken about a month after I got her...I got both of these fish two months ago.

The second photo was taken last week. See, it nearly looks like a male.

The third photo was taken about three weeks ago. You can see some blue happening in the "female". The male is obvious.

I only have the two saulosi in my 150 g. community tank...but it has about 25 other cichlids (including two male melanochromis interuptus) and gouramis of various sizes, mosly small to medium in size.

Edited by guzookeeper

My male salousi has never showed the full blue color, he stays in between a yellowy blue color. The only way I can tell him from his females is his black stripes lol. Sounds like you have a sub dom male to me. I think mine doesn't color up because of the other dom species of other fish in the tank......but he still breeds with the females.

Any one in Calgary or Red Deer willing to trade a female for my sub dominate male? pm me please

When sexing smaller ones, the females are usually a nice bright yellow with a lighter colored belly, and they have absolutely no black on any parts of their body. I have a breeding group but just sold all my offspring, when they spawn again I will let you know in case you haven't found one yet.