F-1 Yellow lab

darkangel

I have a F-1 yellow lab that has been holding for over a month now, The longest I think I've had one hold for is 27 days. Because there is no real demand for yellow labs, I just let them spit in the tank and the fry are taken care of quite fast. This one refused to spit until I moved her to a 10 gal tank. Within minutes she spit about 20 fry. I don't think it is normal for them to hold that long, It could be just a very protective mom. I will grow these out and see what they look like, might keep a couple and then I know of a lungfish lurking in the area.

It's my understanding that the mother will hold the fry for as long as possible. Could it be that she was still able to hold them in her mouth and was afraid to spit because of the death rate of the previous batches? Maybe you could add some extra cover if you don't allready have some so that she might feel safe to spit.

Congratualtions on the fry I wish i could get mine going but oh well.

L

This female has held three times before, and has spit between 18 and 22 days. I'm not worried about hiding places, There is more rocks and hidy holes than there are fish. The rocks also have a lot of small holes that the fry can hide in with no problems and the larger fish can't get into. Just this time she kept her jaws closed for over a month, and that is why I moved her to a serate tank. I can allways get rid of the fry, but replacing an F-1 female might be a little harder. I just did a count on the fry and I have a total of 23 at about 1/2" TL. As far as death rate of the last batches, I do have a nice 4" male kyoga flameback in the tank that just loves yellow lab fry (brings out his color).