anyone raise cherry barbs???

Oxquo

My cherry barbs spawned, supposedly it takes 24 hours to hatch, I never raised these up before so I want to do it just once. I also understand that they spawn often. How do I prepare for the next spawn? Getting eggs is no problem what I want to know is the best way to raise them up. Hatch them in a jar? a ten gallon after removing the folks as I did with my tetras? How big are the fry? bigger than tetras? I never saw fry the first time but maybe the eggs weren't fertile. What to feed the fry, green water or could golden pearls 100-200 microns work? Personally, I don't know why I want to spawn them, I just want to get it over with and say I did. any help is appreciated.

What I got so far is this, take a male and female, apparently females are often left behind when stores buy them due to either lack of color or ease of spawning not sure there. condition males and females which I did in separate tanks. females get a huge bloat fast. put them together with some java moss or a spawning bottom mop and voila, problem is that I don't know the best route from there. On the first attempt I put the eggs in a vase and aerated them with fungus cure, the eggs looked good and were killi sized man is there alot of them, must've been 200+. Anyways I am wondering if during the transfer of the moss, the air maybe killed the eggs. Also I am wondering if leaving them in the tank is best and whether like the tetras I spawned if the tank should remain dark. The eggs looked almost as big as notho eggs but how hard are the fry to see? I know my tetras were hard to see without a magnifying glass. Like I said, not sure why i want to spawn them but I think they'd make awesome schooling fish for an SA tank with angels or even a Kribensis tank. As far as barbs go I think I like their temperment best. I'll let you know if the eggs I collect tomorrow go any better with a mop and hatching in the tank. I will try green water and naturose as first foods.

I have spawned them and raised the fry. I use marbles on the bottom of a 10 g tank although you could use anything from a 2g on up. I had 4 females and two males at the time and all the females were big so I put the whole group in one evening. The next day I removed the adults to another tank. The fry are so small that they are difficult to see or maybe it is just my eyes. My wife spotted them clinging to the side of the tank or on the marbles. I began feeding them after a couple of days using tetra powdered food for egg layers and fresh hatched BBS. I hatched out new small quantities of BBS shrimp every day. The fry grew well. I now have vinegar eels and am going to condition the adults again. Although quite small they required no special care or feed such as infusoria.

Rick

forgot to add that anytime I want some fry from these fish all I have to do is feed the parents well for a few days. Do a water change first thing in the morining and save the old water. Throw in a heater and airstone and presto, you will have fry.

Rick

Thanks tanked, still not sure why I want fry from them as they are dirt cheap but thought I'd try. I may have just passed over the fry and dumped them out, I will try them in a tank tomorrow.

I spawn them and other Barbs and Tetras just for the challenge of doing something a little more intersting than cichlids, at least for me. I will be doing Rosy Barbs, Odessa Barbs and trying some Bleeding Heart Tetras soon.

Rick