Xystichromis sp. kyoga flameback

darkangel

This is round 9 with my kyoga flamebacks, but only the third one I could catch and move to a tank of her own. She is the largest female of the group at about 3 inches, and this is the second time she is holding. I'm hoping this time she will hold full term and not swallow after 3 or 4 days. Fingers are crossed, she's been holding for 3 days now and her mouth is still full. If she makes it another 3 days I might just get some fry out of them.

This is round 9 with my kyoga flamebacks, but only the third one I could catch and move to a tank of her own. She is the largest female of the group at about 3 inches, and this is the second time she is holding. I'm hoping this time she will hold full term and not swallow after 3 or 4 days. Fingers are crossed, she's been holding for 3 days now and her mouth is still full. If she makes it another 3 days I might just get some fry out of them.

I remember reading that you should wait about a week into the holding period before moving the female because they will more likely eat the eggs or spit from stress. I think it was one of the members here that said that but if anyone else wants to add their more expert opinion i'd like to know if i'm right or not.

Good luck

L

It don't matter if I leave them in the tank or move them. They hold for 3 to 4 days and then swallow.

What about getting an egg tumbler and then stripping them?

Don't know if you want to do that or how it'll work but it's an idea.

Good luck

L

It don't matter if I leave them in the tank or move them. They hold for 3 to 4 days and then swallow.

Good luck

L

Stripping is an idea, But I like to let them hold full term and then spit. I find that the fry are better developed and more hardy if they go term. After all nobody walks into the lakes in Africa and strips the holding females. If it comes down to the nitty gritty then I may strip the females, but for now patience is a virtue.

Well that's what I would do too it was just a thought. One thing that came to mind is that the female might not be big enough to carry the eggs so she ends up eating them. I'm just fishing here but it's an idea. Maybe someone more exprienced might have some better ideas other than the fish is faulty which i HIghly doubt.

Good luck and Have fun. Oh the adventures of fishkeeping. Supercrowntailman

L

The fish are'nt faulty, I have 6 females all of which are 2.5 to 3 inches. 3 of them have held once and 3 of them have held twice. The smaller ones I could see them freaking out and swallowing, first the eggs then a wiggly feeling (FOOD) swallow. The larger ones should have an idea of what they are doing by now. I'm guessing a couple more spawns before I see fry.

I usually move the female after a few days when the eggs have hatched. If she keeps swallowing them maybe they are not fertilized or she is stressed. Try removing the dominant male and see what happens and give the females some really good hiding spots like black PVC pipes. Mind you I don't have many hiding spots in my tanks but the females are still quite good at holding.

I was thinking the same thing, that the eggs are not getting fertilised. I was thinking of taking the sub dominant male and three females and put them in another tank to see what happens. Is it possible that my dominant male is sterile,or is he just poking fun and not taking his job serious.

Good luck

I tried putting Flameback eggs in a tumbler, this didn’t work the eggs were to small getting snagged in the metal screen at the bottom. Anyone on the site have success with this?