BEST CANISTER

boomerbob

Here we go , got 2 fluval 405s one leaks out of head { send back to manufacture for repair , comes back with new lower half

all new media, bio , floss, canister } Damn thing still leaks when you turn off power . Did little test for myself , if power fails

{ as we live in country it happens sometimes } it would syfone tank 3/4 empty in about 1 hour. this is a 65 gal tank , holy crap

big mess lol . My other 405 works fine , turn off power NO leak . It is not o-ring or seal area have checked and rechecked this

thing over and over . So do i buy another 405 or do I try a differant brand . Lets hear what you all think

FLUVAL 405

EHIEM

MARINELAND

RENA

OR ANY OTHER FAVORITE

i have 2 rena xp3's and they work good i have a a fluval 403 to but i am not a fan of it there is a tank shop in calgary that has some that look just like the ehiemi think they are chinese knock off 's but i think i will try one when i need a new filter they are $100 bucks the pkg says it is good for 180 gallon tank i think has been awhile sence i saw it

Edited by bigb1112

Best bang for your buck is the Rena filters. I have 4 of them and the only issue I've had is when one of the O-rings on the valve body needed replacing. I took it to Canadian Tire and got an automotive replacement one for under a quarter.

Not much experience with canisters, but I love my Rena Xp3. It does its job on my Heavily stocked 65g goldfish tank and is a breeze to clean.

Replacement media is easy to find even 2hrs from a large city. Parts are readily accessible if they are ever needed. Not bad on power either.

I would have liked to try Eheim, but lacked the funds and a source for the media...

I think it depends on what you are using them for...I have 3 FX5's, 2 XP3's, 2 Eheims, and one 205 ..The FX5's are great for larger tank where you want a higher volume of flow, I have two of them on my 120g Oscar tank (over kill) two XP3's on my 120g planted tank, a small ehiem on a 20g planted. a PRO-II on my 55g Dayglow tank and an eleven year old 205 on a mixed 33g,...All of them work well and none of them have given me any issue.

I have to agree, the RENA XP3's are the best bang for the buck, simple, reliable and inexpensive. The Ehiems are nice but IMHO not worth the extra money over the RENA's. If you need a workhorse for a larger tank, the FX5 has no real competition.

I've used all of them and heres the break down. Eheim HAND DOWN has the best filter media. There substrat Pro had the most surface space for bacteria to grow and we all now the more benafical bacteria the healthier your tank will by. Its true that they have a slower flow rate but thats mainly to grow the benafical bacteria faster and more of it. With them having a slowe5r flow rate you can up the size of the filter with out blowing your fish out of the water. The professional 2's and WHY more user friendly then Renas. Renas are for the most part reliable and do have a faster flow rate if your looking for that. They dont come with all the media where all the other filters do. If you buy the Rena go with the Substrat Pro. I've had a few Renas leak on me for no reason and then stop and start work well again. ???? Marinelands are reliable and more user friendly then the Rena. Cascade filters are ok. No beef with them.

I run Eheim for all my Canisters and their media in all my hang ons. THey are the Best.

This canister is on a 65 gal african tank { my wife got some off my son } and 11 differant plecos , my wife loves

plecs . The fluval is still hooked up and running BUT im still going to replace it as i dont want a flood if the

power goes out . As long as the power is on it works fine , but if the power is cut it starts to syphon the tank

and leak out of the motor housing , still cant find the source of the leak . talked to 2 guys at LFS and they

said the housing must have hairline crack , o-well i want to try a differant canister anyway so this gives me

an excuse to buy one . again thank you all