Importing Fish

Music_

Okay, I'm no expert here but wanted to point something out. There used to be a transhipper in Calgary(Catherine) and I know she didn't go to Vancouver to pick up fish. I'm not sure how she did it but there must be some loophole. She also had a very low mortality rate on her fish too.

Good to know. I had just assumed that the fish could be forwarded on to any airport in Canada as long as there was a customs office, and didn't realize that it had to be done where they first entered the country.

Yes and no. It does not have to be the port of entry but the shipment has to go through a forwarder. The shipment must be booked all the way from its origin to the destination without any interuption. Most countries in Europe have a very good relationship with for example Air Canada and other North American air lines that fly frequently here. I ordered fish from Sweden and the flight with SAS from Gothenburg via Amsterdam and then with Air Canada to Calgary-Edmonton. I could track the trip through Air Canada's web site the entire time, very convenient. Customs at Edmonton airport took 20 minutes, no hassles. Asian air companies does not have the same connections and therefore you have to checkout the shipment in Vancouver and then put it on another flight to Edmonton, hence having to clear customs at the port of entry.

As long as the shipper is able to book all the way to the end destination there should be no problems. Canadian customs does not require any special documents for "ornamental" fish. If you import as a private person you don't have to prepare any documents. Health certificate is only for fish that are for human consumption. You have to pay GST to the customs and a cargo fee when you pick up the fish.

Patrick also forgot to mention there is a fee of 55 dollars for licence, which is required. Forwarding companies are also referred to as transhipper's etc...

Catherine, had to have a transhipper in order for her to obtain her betta's.

If you import fish for private use with no intention to distribute or make money, then you don't need a license. If you intend to sell the fish, or if you import as a registered business but have no import license, then you need the one time license. Basically, if you are doing a group order with lots of fish, then the customs might get a bit suspicious when you say it's for personal use only... and you might end up having to buy the license. I have ordered privately from the US a few times and never needed to buy the license, but we are not talking about a lot of fish.

Changing the subject very slightly, I kept Koi in England before coming to Canada. They are still swimming around my Father's pond but if I wanted to bring them here it sounds like I just (big just) need to fly them in as i would have no intention of selling them.

Anyone any idea of the cost of doing this?

Cost maybe prohibitive, granted and I have to build a suitable pond so they could survive an Edmonton winter but it would be permissable?

Felix

Yes, you would be able to bring them in directly... you would have to pay the air shipping, and any gst associated with them if you pay any amount of dollar for the fish..

So, if you put a price of 1 dollar on them, pay the shipping costs.. depends on the box size and weight in order to get a estimate on shipping them to Edmonton international airport.

Europe has direct flights to Edmonton or Calgary !