synodontis petricola

Amazing not sure what happened... I had three synodontis petricola in my African tank and they all kicked the bucket in the last week... not sure what happened everyone else looks normal and healthy... only thing that has changed in that tank over the last month was I put two Goldheaded Comps in there for fry control... Any ideas?

That is strange, I've had 8 for a year and a half or so and give them no special attention and they are fine. One would think the comps would be more sensitive to any water problems, They seem like tough little buggers so I wouldn't think it would be an aggression thing but I've never kept them with comps ----maybe it was just bad luck

But Syno's might be the only ones to notice 'other' chemicals in the water at this time of year that prime etc. doesn't remove. Have the comp's been aggressive towards them? I had a trio of wild black calvus in with my big group of petricola's for years with never any issues.

IME if your water is the least bit off, petricola are like canaries in a mine shaft.

A few yrs back I had a tank crash due to some unexplained form of toxin that got in the water, and my petricola reacted immediately, hours before any other fish in this tank showed any type of stress. They were also the first fish to die, others lasted another 24-48 hrs, and then also died.

I think Kyle is correct in that what may cause severe stress to a petricola, may go completely unnoticed by other fish in the same tank. Much in the same way that most danios can weather long term exposure to ammonia/nitrites in a new set up, while other species around them will drop like flies from the same conditions.