Bats are back

patrick

It has been silent in the bat house even though it's late May but I guess it's because of the cold weather. This evening I heard some noise so I waited with the camera. It was almost impossible to get any picture as they kind of just drop out of the house. I was surprised that there were so many already, at least 20 left the house as I was standing there. It will be interesting to see how many occupants there are at the end of the summer. Good bye mosquitos :D

IMG_3416-750.jpg

IMG_3415-750a.jpg

IMG_3415-750b.jpg

I have seen the odd bat around my house as I am near the river in Edmonton.... How high off the ground does the house have to be to attract them?

Is there something one should do with the house to attract some residents?

Great pictures by the way...

here is a bit of Bat House location and installation info Jerry...

Great pictures Partick...AWESOME! :thumbs:

I have seen the odd bat around my house as I am near the river in Edmonton.... How high off the ground does the house have to be to attract them?

Is there something one should do with the house to attract some residents?

Great pictures by the way...

here is a bit of Bat House location and installation info Jerry...

Great pictures Partick...AWESOME! :thumbs:

I forgot about Bat Conservation International ... TONS of bat info.

Good info in those links Henry :)

Jerry our bat house is 12 feet off the ground (bottom of house) on a pole with an open field in front. The house itself is 2x4 feet in size with two chambers. The house is facing south and I counted at least 37 inhabitants now this weekend. The bats like to have water close by for them to move in permanently and breed. They have to be able to crawl to the water line so it can't be too steep.