Looking for advice on stand repair/replacement

T Dawg

We had a flood caused by the fish tank about a month ago. We have a 48"L x 18"W x 28"H Singray Stand and the bottom board made of particle board sucked up the water like a sponge and warped. It has warped so I am worried about the amount of stress being put on the tank, and the tank is no longer level nor do the door operate.

So I guess the best bet is get new stand and drain the tank to 25% and move it with the inhabitants still inside. I know trying to move full fish tank is a nono, but I am hoping a slid when lightly filled might be OK.

I guess the second option would be building/finding a temp stand, and replacing the bottom board with plywood. This could involve tools and band aids, but the next flood the stand would hold up better.

So thoughts, comments, alternatives?

i don't think i'd attempt to move a 55 gallon tank still 1/4 full of water, plus gravel, plus decor, plus fish. that could be a disaster in the making. agree with Parachromis, drain the tank completely, put fish into buckets during this time, and transfer it to the new stand and refill. just think, this would more than take care of your water change for the week, lol!

I agree with both answers you have received.

Trying to fix a damaged stand is almost pointless, the bottom board is likely not the only part damaged, just the most visible. It's very likely that the rest of the stand is also particle board and has some less visible but just as detrimental damage.

Boom :boom:

I had a friend try to move a 3/4 full 30 gallon once and it ended up cracking the bottom..I know it is alot more work but you have to drain to be safe....and I agree once partical board has been wet it is compromised and I would worry what could happen later at 3 am!

Ditto to everything above.

You don't have to do it this way but this is what i'd do and i thought you might find something useful. I'd suggest useing a tupperware tub or something of the like of the same size as your tank and keep your gravel and decorations as well as your filter going in the tub. This way your fish should have allot less stress and the bacteria won't die if you have problems with the move or the new stand. Be careful to transfer some water from the tank to the tub before you add the fish. then add the heater to keep the water warm.then add the fish and then carefully add the decorations and gravel. You'll see allot of debris stirred up from the move so it's a good time to get the tank spick and span again. Add your filters then add some fresh water to top it off. If you have problems catching the fish because of the decorations move them first then the fish then the gravel.

Good luck

L

P.S. If you get another particle board stand(they are allot cheaper) I'd suggest waterproofing it a bit by painting the exposed ends of the board with varnish or something. and silicone for the seams to prevent water from leaking in between the boards. Use a little teeny tiny bit on the outside seams (I'd use a toothpick tp seal it with masking tape to keep it nearly invisible) but don't be shy inside the stand itself.

In my opinion Particle board and Fish tanks DO NOT MIX. and should have warning labels on them or be built to be waayyy more water proof.

P.P.S. I saw a water alarm at Home depot or Rona for a fraction of the price you'd find in fish stores if anyone wants to pick one up.

Edited by Ishkabod

I'd suggest useing a tupperware tub or something of the like of the same size as your tank and keep your gravel and decorations as well as your filter going in the tub. .......P.S. If you get another particle board stand(they are allot cheaper) I'd suggest waterproofing it a bit by painting the exposed ends of the board with varnish or something. ........P.P.S. I saw a water alarm at Home depot or Rona for a fraction of the price you'd find in fish stores if anyone wants to pick one up.

A few replies I guess.

I was 4' from the tank when the flood happened, so the water alarm not so helpful in my case.

1 90 Galon rubber made container would be a pain, but a few smaller could be doable as I have a few heaters and filters.

I am 100% sure only the bottom board is damaged, as all other boards sit on it, and it absorbed the water from the bottom through the face of the board. Could not move the full tank, and while I got most of the water up right away the carpet underlay acted as a sponge. While the stand did have short legs the board did touch the top of the carpet.

With the laminant (style of stand is bigger reason for choice than cost, would rather by the same stand in hardwood at tripple the price or have it built). Not sure how I would better seal the board. The water came through the face of the board. I'll try and post some pics later to describe better.

I think there is a big differnce between 3/4 full and 1/4 when it comes to moving. If I am sliding stand to stand of teh same hight I am willing to try, but if I need to lift I do agree that it needs to be empty.

Some pics of the stand (and the carpet being lifted with air being blown under to dry underlay).

The stand has 4 short legs, which sit on shims for leveling. The legs are under the two middle vertical boards.

post-4003-1244697220_thumb.jpgpost-4003-1244697234_thumb.jpgpost-4003-1244697258_thumb.jpgpost-4003-1244697274_thumb.jpgpost-4003-1244697335_thumb.jpg[attachment

=6911:DSC00623.JPG]post-4003-1244697397_thumb.jpgpost-4003-1244697425_thumb.jpg

post-4003-1244697362_thumb.jpg

Yup your right about it being hard to seal it. Methinks your best bet is a new stand but with some water protection on the bottom like a cut to fit shower curtain or you can always spray some waterproof sealant I'd check with a paint store or hardware store to see what would work. Some sanding of the cabinet to make it more adhesive would probably be the easiest. If the bottom board is the only board that got wet then I think you should be fine. I'd move it onto a piece of plywood and then shim it under the plywood for leviling but otherwise you should be fine.

I was thinking about the rubbermaids and you really can get away with two different tubs easily and probably smaller than 90 gal total. Put the fish, filter, heater(s) in one and in another put the rocks and gravel If it's only going to be an hour or two the fish should be fine I'm more worried about the bacteria dieing and having the tank go through a minicycle. Umm I guess Stability would be a great thing to have on hand just in case. If you have a few rubbermaids kicking around use those but i highly recommend having at least one larger container for a buch of fish to feed the bacteria. I don't know what kind of fish you have If it's the one with the tetras, corys, and endlers well you got yourself an easy job. One bucket with the fish, filters and heater, one with the plants and one with the substrate/deco. If it's a heavily planted tank then i'd check with the more plant experienced people on the site to see if you should leave the gravel and it's waste in the tank to feed the plants.

One last mini tip If you plan to flood the living room again ;) then buy the type of carpet i have to replace yours if nessasary. It has the rubber underly as part of the carpet itself. No worries about minifloods anymore(had a few so far and no damage) Just invest in a cheap carpet cleaner to get the water soaked up before it reaches the end of the carpet. The biggest plus is you don't really need to pay someone to install it because it's a very easy do it yourself type(did my whole house by myself)

I had a bit of an idea. Maybe you could bend the board back to level by putting a few weights in the middle so the doors would work again. A full 10 gallon tank would work nicely methinks.

Hope i gave you some ideas.

Good luck

L

awww the pictures really help, I dont think all is lost for your stand, if it were me and cost is an issue...which for most of us it is..I would just replace the bottom board, your side boards are not bowed out at all which shows that only your bottom board took in all the water.

Because your bottom board is expanded now you have to be very careful with that tank sitting on it because once partical board gets like that all its strength is diminished greatly. It looks like it is a maple color in the pictures and you will be able to make your own replacement piece cheap and easy as most places carry that finish (HD, Rona, Totem). If you have a little more money to spend I would look into getting something like plywood that matches the stand, it will be stronger and hold up to water way better.

Just some thoughts

Rob.

The strenght of the board, or lack there of, is why I was not willing to try and move the stand at all(and was willing to live with the potenal of rotten underlay). I don't think it is safe anymore, and while it might be possible to flatten the minor bumps now are hard to notice, especialy with the doors off.

The tank is no where near capacity, so having the inhabitance in a smaller temp home should be relitivly simple if I can catch them all. The fry are hidden all over in the rocks, and not having to deal with that is part of the appeal of the second stand slide. Sliding it with 1/4 full just seems so tempting.

If I had talent and a temp stand, I would try for a peice of stained maple plywood to replace the bottom particle board peice. I guess I could do that without the temp stand and have the tank empty on the floor for a while, the question is can I do that without the talent. With the tempstand I have all the time in the world to fart around and figure it out.

yeah tough one, you are going to have to figure out how your stand is put together and see if you can duplicate it..but it shouldn't be too bad. But the hard part is what to do with the tank, it seems super tempting to move it but even at 1/4 full the water weight in a 90 gallon alone is over 180 lbs and not to mention your sand and other stuff oh and your tank weight.. if you can slid it onto a temp stand and everything is even and sturdy, then cool or else you have to drain it... Tough one...sorry cant be more help, it is tough call that only you can make.

yeah tough one, you are going to have to figure out how your stand is put together and see if you can duplicate it..but it shouldn't be too bad. But the hard part is what to do with the tank, it seems super tempting to move it but even at 1/4 full the water weight in a 90 gallon alone is over 180 lbs and not to mention your sand and other stuff oh and your tank weight.. if you can slid it onto a temp stand and everything is even and sturdy, then cool or else you have to drain it... Tough one...sorry cant be more help, it is tough call that only you can make.

I put it together a few months back (mid feb) so the how it goes together part is no problem. Let's avoid the only lasted how many months issue.

The weight is manageable, the worry is how fragile the tank is with a partial load. Is it sad I know the weight of the gravel and deco is 40lbs?