What can I do?

EowynJane

What can I do to make my cichilds less skittish? It started when I had just the 5 labs in the 50g... it was suggested that they were hiding because they were insecure, being only 5 fish in 50 gallons of water. It helped when I added the acei, they were always out and about and not scared, the labs would come out to see what was going on. But now they both hide whenever someone approaches the tank... I think the acei are just following the yellows in this.

I'm really disappointed... this wasn't what I wanted in a cichlid tank. The acei do come out if you stand still in front of the tank, the labs only come out if they see the acei feeding and then they dart away at any movement. Any ideas or suggestions?

They'll need to get used to who is normally around . This is usually the person who feeds them .

I'd start with skipping a day of feeding , they'll need to be hungry . Then I'd come to the tank and only drop a little food. I'd come back a couple hours later and do the same. This will take several times, hunger is a great motivator and with limited food , they'll need to rush out if they are to get any . They'll quickly learn that you represent food and not being hunted. Once they do the math they'll be much more comfortable being out , at least until a stranger comes by lol .

I've done what Qattara suggested, but thopposite also works. Just go spend lots of time in front of the tank, just sitting or standing, but not feeding them. They'll learn that you don't always deliver food when your there and get used to someone being there.

How long have hey been in that tank? It does take some time for them to get used to people. With the tank I had at work with yellow labs in it, people walked by all the time and it took about 2 or 3 months for them to really start coming out regularly.

Boom :boom:

Ok, I did try sitting in front of the tank when it was just the yellows but it probably wasn't done enough. I'm not sure I could have coaxed them out when it was just them. I got the yellows on Harolds last trip up to Edmonton a few months ago (after he couldn't come to the spring auction because of the weather). The acei were just added 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I'll give these both a try, thanks!

Edited by EowynJane

• 2 weeks later...

Recently my fish started darting like mad every time I walked over to the tank which was odd considering the age of the tank. For weeks I could not figure it out. Then I found out that my new room mate had been scaring the fish for fun when I was not around. If you have any kids or anyone that might be taping on the glass, it might be the cause. He stopped eventually and it took a couple months for them to calm down.

Other than that, I agree with the other posts. Time is going to be your best friend in the end. Also, I think labs can be pretty timid in general compared to other cichlids (if I am not mistaken).

Well I've figured out some things that make them bolt. The apperance of either of my dogs, especially if my bigger dog runs by, he's not exactly light on his feet or if he is throwing his bone around on the hardwood floors :rolleyes:

Unfamiliar things or fast moving things will definitely do that. I found that with my 55 mbuna tank in my fish room, compared with my 90 malawi tank in my dining room, the fish in the 55 seem more skittish and shy compared to them all coming up to the tank every time I walk by in my 90. I think it all has to do with the activity in a room and how much time is spent seeing people. Some cynotilapia fry I have I moved from a 5 gallon in a less busy room, to a 25 gallon in my hallway freaked out for the first couple of weeks and were always hiding. Now after about 3-4 weeks they seem to be getting better when people walk by. I think it will just take time and I 100% agree to spend more time in that area to allow them to get used to the activity.

• 2 weeks later...

^ That was actually just suggested to me but my tank is fully (even a little over) stocked. I suppose 5 or 6 danio's wouldn't make much of an impact on the bio-load. I might give that a go.

I've moved an arm chair in front of the tank and I try to sit there to read or watch tv, hubby hates it because it's in the middle of the living room. I even turned the tv so that I could see it better... I knocked a speaker and 2 plants off the top while moving it :rolleyes: Thankfully the speaker landed on a dog bed and the plants were mostly fixable.

Edited by EowynJane

So I added 8 danios to the tank last night... 1 died within 1/2 hour, it's mouth was stuck open, I wasn't expecting it to last. Got up this morning, 1 more is belly up, 1 has a partly shredded tail and 1 is missing :rolleyes: All of the danios are up at the top in one area and my cichlids are still mostly hiding. How long should I give this before expecting results? Should I add more danios or should I have gone with something else? I went with them because they're supposed to be a clean fish and my tank is already stocked to the max.