The stock list for the 225 gallon

So this is my stock list for the 225 gallon that has woefully been sitting empty since last October. The stand has been built(thank you Ryan), the 3-d background is almost finished and the fish are all on hold until July 13(at least I hope they are) Just want to get opinions on what everyone thinks of the species together. This is going to be an all male tank so hopefully I can keep some of the aggression at bay. Sorry if my spelling is off! :shifty:

Auloncaura Jacobfriebergi "Eureka Red" x 2

Nimbochromis Polystigma x 1

Dimidiochromis Dimidiatus x 2

Nibochromis Livingtonii x 1

Fossochromis Rostratus x 2

O.B Peacocks x2

Auloncaura Sp. Strawberry Peacock x 2

German Ruby Red x 1

Nimbochromis Venustus x 2

F1 Auloncaura Maylandi x1

Placidochromis phenochilus x1

Taiwan Reef x1 (not quite sure what sp.)

Cyrtocara Moorii x1

Dimidiochromis Compressiceps x 1

Pseudotropheus sp."elongatus chewere" x1

Metriaclima elegans "gnome" x1

Auloncaura sunburst peacock x1

Sciaenochromis fryeri x2

Protomelas sp "spilonotus tanzania"x1

Protomelas Taeniolatus x 1

Labidochromis caeruleus x 2

and last but not least

Syndontis Eupterus x 2

Oh and a shout out to Lana who helped me get into the wonderful world of Cichlids.

Edited by cichlidmomwanabe

I've ran all male tanks for several yrs, and IMHO I would recommend limiting the mbuna to Labidochromis caeruleus (due to the overall territorial, fin nipping, & aggressive behaviour of most mbuna), and keep the various peacock/haps to a single male, and add some different male species to the mix. In some cases more than 1 male of the same genus/species can work, but typically you will have 1 dom male, and the others will get constantly harassed & beat down. Yes, even in a 225 gallon tank.

There are plenty of other haps that you could add to your list that would have better odds of long term success.

HTH

Heather, your stock choices look really good. Some really nice species there.

If I did another all male mixed malawi tank, I would do like Neil says, eliminate the mbuna all together except for the elec. yellows, and do only 1 of each species of peacocks and haps. It may be ok to start with 2 of them, but be prepared to weed out the sub-dominant one quickly.

Even in the relatively short time I had them all mixed in my 180, I sure noticed that the mbuna were too aggresive and I didn't see very much color out of some of the peacocks.

What ever you decide, best of luck and I can't wait to see it.

Boom :boom:

p.s. your welcome for the stand.....