Angel stopped eating...

catshanon

My black male angel is looking thin and is spitting out food. I give them NLS pellets...There is only one pair with a albino bristlenose pleco in a 25G planted, so he is not getting bullied or anything like that. I give them frozen mysis shrimp once a week..

What should I change in the diet to prompt him to eat again ?

Thanks,

Raj

Is he pooping and what does it look like? Maybe he has worms?

I was guilty of not watching him diligently. I just used to put the food in the tank and walk away and then watch my bigger tank.. Today I looked closely and saw that his body is thin and kind of shrivelled. The female (his partner) is healthy and has a shine and sheen on her scales, but the male is looking pale and anorexic...

I will watch him tomorrow to see if he is pooping..

So I watched him today morning when I gave the food. He takes the NLS pellets but spits out the food and is not eating at all and not pooping. His belly is really flat so I am getting a bit worried now.

How do I know if he has worms or parasites ? He is swimming around normally and comes upto the front when he sees me approaching. Is he going through a mood swing ? I am thinking of giving him some live food to see if that will help .. So, the next question is where can I get live food, at "The Fishing Hole " ??

Thanks,

Raj

The fishing hole sells dew worms and trout worms(different sizes of earthworms), maggots and mealworms. Nothing in the "aquarium" live food range.

If you want to try, dig up some earthworms from your garden and feed those. I sometimes give them as a treat to my angels and they go crazy for them. If they are too big chop them up but I usually try to find the baby ones and feed them whole.

But if he is interested in food but spits it out I don't know if he will act any different with a live food.

If you can soak some garlic powder with chopped up earth worms he might eat them. The garlic works as a dewormer, I use it regularly for my discus.

If you can soak some garlic powder with chopped up earth worms he might eat them. The garlic works as a dewormer, I use it regularly for my discus.

Thanks to everyone for their comments,

I will have to get some earthworms now and see what I can do. Hopefully he will recover up.. I will hate to lose him.

As Nick suggested...I would try some NLS with garlic...

It is unlikely he is going to eat a food that he is not use to right away... at least with the NLS garlic or his regular food treated with garlic tonic it will have a food that he may consume and treat him somewhat.... usually when a fish stops eating there is a problem that is not related to diet type... so try a treatment rather then different food...

If you need some garlic tonic let me know I have some I can give you....