New Betta being bad

lt1fj40

I have had a male betta in my small community tank for a long time with out any issues until he passed, so I bought beautiful new little boy CT and as soon as I put him in the tank you could tell something was way different then the old one. He was really aggressive, my guess was he was setting up his territory. He left pretty much every fish alone (neon tetras, black skirt tetras, cory cat, and a few fancy guppies) except for this one guppy...for some reason he went after this guppy. If this guppy went by him at all he would lunge at him...

Well the next morning, that poor guppy had no eyes! I feel terrible! I quickly removed the betta out and put him into his own tank...what should I do with the guppy?? Could I put the betta back in or dont risk it?

I have had a male betta in my small community tank for a long time with out any issues until he passed, so I bought beautiful new little boy CT and as soon as I put him in the tank you could tell something was way different then the old one. He was really aggressive, my guess was he was setting up his territory. He left pretty much every fish alone (neon tetras, black skirt tetras, cory cat, and a few fancy guppies) except for this one guppy...for some reason he went after this guppy. If this guppy went by him at all he would lunge at him...

Well the next morning, that poor guppy had no eyes! I feel terrible! I quickly removed the betta out and put him into his own tank...what should I do with the guppy?? Could I put the betta back in or dont risk it?

Each fish has its own personality. He might've thought the guppy was another betta (long fins etc.) and decided there was room for only one! You should probably put the guppy to sleep. And once the guppy is out you can try putting the betta back in, or put him into a breeder's trap or betta barracks and see how he reacts when the other fish swim by.

I don't know why he went after only the one guppy but i've heard that every betta has it's own personality and some are very very aggressive while others can be perfectly happy in any community tank without any troubles. I have a Betta Barracks and it seems like the fish develop their reaction to the betta while he is in the confinements of the container and over time the aggression and reactions between the fish become almost completely NON agressive. This is just my observations of the two betta males i've had in the Cichlid tank. When the male betta made his first Great escape he was completely left alone wherever he went in the tank. Even during feeding time. The female betta has been a constant in the whole tank for months now and not even a fin nip has happened or even a chase of any kind. maybe you can re introduce him but confine him to a clear container for a week or two and observe his reactions to the other fish swimming around or near him and make a better decision from that. I'm sorry to hear about your guppy.

Good luck

L

Edited by Ishkabod