Immersed set up

devocole

Looks beautiful!

I question if you really mean immersed or emersed.

im⋅mersed [i-murst]

–adjective

1. plunged or sunk in or as if in a liquid.

2. Biology. somewhat or wholly sunk in the surrounding parts, as an organ.

3. Botany. growing under water.

e·mersed (-mûrst)

adj. Botany

Rising above the surface of water: emersed aquatic plants

pardon my ignorance....what is this all about? looks beautiful.

That is HC "cuba" or HC = Hemianthus Callitrichoides. Its a carpet forming plant and needs high light and CO2. Devon grew it emmersed (not fully underwater, but the soil was drenched with water). Since the plant wasn't submerged completely in water, it got a lot of CO2 from the air and Devon provided the high lighting as shown in the picture.

Looks great!

So you grew the HC emmersed and now plan to fill the tank up with water? Will the growth on the HC change? I know a couple other plants(crypts, swords) have a different form when grown emmersed and then when placed under water again the leaves change back to their immersed form.

Looks great!

So you grew the HC emmersed and now plan to fill the tank up with water? Will the growth on the HC change? I know a couple other plants(crypts, swords) have a different form when grown emmersed and then when placed under water again the leaves change back to their immersed form.

I also had that question in my mind. I grew HC emmersed (on a small plastic container and had it hanging very close to the aquarium lights). I wrapped up the container using clear plastic to maintain a high humidity and the HC grew well. When I transplanted it back to the tank, growth has become very very slow and the plants are just about surviving. Maybe my lighting is not high enough ( 192 W over 55 G, 3 feet deep), or maybe I have too much light dispersion and scattering.

Hopefully Devon will have a lush growth and then I can take some trimmings.. :thumbs: