Peacocks more aggressive than Mbuna?

roypark05

I know if you put the two together the Mbuna will terrorize the Peacocks, but it seems to be if you have a Peacock tank and a Mbuna tank, there will be more aggression amongst the Peacocks. I tried an all Peacock tank once and I ended up having to do something different. Right now I have some Peacocks in with Yellow Labs. The Labs show no aggression towards each other or the Peacocks, but there is a lot of aggression amongst the Peacocks.

Anyone else keep Peacocks? Aggression issues?

Edited by roypark05

Most peacocks are fairly peaceful, lots of mbunas are badasses with a attitude. so no, mbunas are more aggressive. But i have had the together with no problem, but you have to do it right.

With Y-Labs, I've always noticed them to be the more docile of tank-mates with either other mbuna and/or peacocks, which is why its suggested to keep them in a small group rather-than themselves.

I have to agree with rED 0 with the aggressive attitude. Mbuna think they can take on the world. Even if it is half the size of the peacock they seem to be the instigator in a quarrel.

Edited by Gnaw

Mbuna can be crazy, I know. I've kept them for years. However, I find that with mbuna they tend to order themselves in terms of dominance, and the dominant ones get more and better space and they kind of leave each other alone.

I've only dabbled with Peacocks. Once I failed miserably, and right now like I said, the Peacocks in my tank are fighting quite a bit. The Labs aren't fighting at all. The Peacocks mostly steer clear of the Labs.

One Lab is bigger than 3 inches, the others are all much smaller. I have 2 OB Peacocks at about 2" and a Blue/Yellow Mutt Peacock at the same size. Finally, a Sunburts Peacock at about an inch. One of the OB's bullies all the other Peacocks.

I'm in the exact same position, I have a Male Eureka red badass that chases the 6 other female peacocks like crazy and then i have My Labs. The peacocks leave my labs completely alone and vice versa but the smaller female peacocks just stay away from the areas the larger labs like but i have yet to see any outright aggression Although the peacock females fight quite a bit. They all leave my Female Betta and the Synodontis Petricolas completely alone. Almost as if they werent even there(the labs share thieir "Cave" with them. I don't think Labs really are all that aggressive and they can hold their own if nessasary but usually don't need to.

These fish can be confusing sometimes.

L

Your problem is due to the size of the tank, and the type of peacocks that you have. Most of the hybrid peacock strains tend to be far more aggressive than pure forms, with the jacobfreibergi's being the exception. (such as Eurekas, Lemon Jakes, etc)

OB peacocks were developed using mbuna, hence the reason why some of them often act more like an mbuna, than a peacock.

• 6 months later...

Agree with RD, OB peacocks were created with some mbuna genes. But I also understand where u are coming from. My mbuna tank had little overall agression. There was a pecking order and the fish fell in line. Although if there were problems in the mbuna tank they were more severe. My peacock males in my 90 gallon have not stopped fighting since day one, its turned me off peacocks a little to tell you the truth.

I have 5 male peacock tanks. It is a balancing act. Important to change the tank rocks around when adding more fish. They will concentrate on claiming turf as opposed to fighting. Having a couple larger peacocks that will establish themselves as tank bosses will help keep the peace. Mbuna SEEM TO BE TROUBLE MAKERS IN A PEACOCK TANK. Also female peacocks will raise hell with the males. Go males only, be prepared to have another male tank or 2 so you can find the right balance. Do not put 2 of the same males together. That is fine with a breeding group only. My tanks are all finally peaceful. 1 large peacock show tank, 1 3-4" juvi show tank, 1 smaller peacock tank, 1 mixed peacock tank...you need to be able to remove a problem fish and try him in another tank of peacocks. For males you really need at least 2 or 3 tanks to juggle. Greg

I have 5 male peacock tanks. It is a balancing act. Important to change the tank rocks around when adding more fish. They will concentrate on claiming turf as opposed to fighting. Having a couple larger peacocks that will establish themselves as tank bosses will help keep the peace. Mbuna SEEM TO BE TROUBLE MAKERS IN A PEACOCK TANK. Also female peacocks will raise hell with the males. Go males only, be prepared to have another male tank or 2 so you can find the right balance. Do not put 2 of the same males together. That is fine with a breeding group only. My tanks are all finally peaceful. 1 large peacock show tank, 1 3-4" juvi show tank, 1 smaller peacock tank, 1 mixed peacock tank...you need to be able to remove a problem fish and try him in another tank of peacocks. For males you really need at least 2 or 3 tanks to juggle. Greg

• 1 month later...

Well i now have my 80 gallon up and running and i added Mr Blue my cynotilapia 'White Top' afra and he's the boss of about a square foot area of open sand. I added a few more fish including an OB peacock and have moved the decorations around a few times and the aggression really hasn't even gone as far as tail nipping. I have too many male labs and only one mature Female which has caused one male to hide constantly but he's still healthy and eating(he hides at the side of the tank so i constantly keep my eye on him to watch for serious issues) they Chase eachother around allot but between the Eureka red Male, Mr. Blue and the OB peacock there is little aggression left for the other tank mates not to mention that with the decorations i have they quickly loose anyone they chase. For me i really love the interaction between the fish and the only real sore spot is that Mr. Blue likes to nip at my Common plecco but that rarely happens as the plecco hides allot and he gets his food at night.

One other thing i heard is that you can get an all male tank IF you start with the fish really small and let them grow into the tank and everything. Don't know for sure but i'm going to give it a try at least.

Have fun

L