Electric Blue Jack Dempseys

maniac

I'm considering getting a pair of Electric Blue Jack Dempseys but I don't know a lot of about their needs. Do they have the same requirements as a regular Jack Dempsey? I've heard some say they remain smaller; is that correct? Also what size of tank do they need?

Thanks,

Chad

I'm considering getting a pair of Electric Blue Jack Dempseys but I don't know a lot of about their needs. Do they have the same requirements as a regular Jack Dempsey? I've heard some say they remain smaller; is that correct? Also what size of tank do they need?

Thanks,

Chad

-----------------IN MY OPINION----------------

The "electricblue" strain of jd's are not nearly as hardy as a regular jd.

as well, a pair of ebjd would need a minimum of 75 gallon.

You have to be somewhat careful in buying them alot of them are no good. Most of them look fine when they are small but will either die or show deformities as they grow. Your best bet is to ask Dennis at Golds to let you know when he has a good batch in as he has a good eye for them.As for their needs I would think you could easily keep a pair in a 33+ gal tank for a long time if they get to big you have a good pair and it would be well worth upgrading their tank to something larger.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to keep one to adulthood (but died suddently when he smashed against the glass when the cat spooked him) and now I am currently keeping one male (I think) from Riverfront. They are sensitive as juvies and I would not keep them with any tankmates until at least 3-4 inches in length.

updateEBJD1.jpg

Jonah

I have been fortunate enough to be able to keep one to adulthood (but died suddently when he smashed against the glass when the cat spooked him) and now I am currently keeping one male (I think) from Riverfront. They are sensitive as juvies and I would not keep them with any tankmates until at least 3-4 inches in length.

updateEBJD1.jpg

Jonah

Yes, ive looked into them as well, but from all i have gathered they dont seem to be very hardy, and they also are pretty exspensive. Also if you want to breed them, I believe a blue male has to be bred to a regular colored female, then you breed a blue to a female of their young to get any blues back yourself..........but im certainly not a pro, ive decided to stay away from them until I can get some more experience

Hi, I got myself five EBJD at 1.5 to 2 inches in length. Two died unexpectedly and the third got picked on when I wasn't aware my Red jewels has spawned...I evenually lost him also. I do still have one, he is nearly 4 inches big now and doing well. He is in a community 150 gallon tank.

If i was to do it again, I would keep them in a seperate tank. They are too expensive to loose to fighting etc...

Edited by guzookeeper