R.I.P. Xystichromis sp. Kyoga Flameback

Ishkabod

Went to bed last night after feeding my fish and everyone was happy and colourful and eating.

Woke up this morning and found him belly up on the bottom breathing hard and his tail completely GONE.

The only agressive fish i have in that tank is my Male Red Jewel and he's been only a little tail nippy during feeding time.

They had been together in the tank for the last few months and the male flameback hadn't been touched ONly the 4 females

The Reds aren't Breeding either.

What the heck is going on????

I gently put him in a large breeding net and when i arrived home from work today he had passed away.

I'll miss his beautiful coloration in my new tank I hope i can get another like him after my 80 is finally sealed.

:cry:

L

Not too mention too small of a tank. Things may have worked for a while, but fish grow and their attitudes and behaviours can change drastically.

They would have been away from the red jewels in my 80 gallon tank if i could only get it to stop leaking. I'm on my5th try at re-sealing it. I want to give up but i don't have the money for another tank.

I'm thinking of haveing a all male Peacock tank and then a few 30 gallon tanks with females for breeding.

I'm just very suprised it happened overnight and the females whose tails originally were being nipped a bit had not been touched for the last few weeks or so. I don't know what triggered it but whatever it was all the signs were pointing to less aggression towards the other fish not more.

Eternally puzzled by this

L