Oto Catfish

A few weeks ago added 4 oto cats to my well established, planted, algae smorgasbord tank. They seem to be doing ok, but I have read that they must be also offered food such as zucchini and cucumbers to ensure they don't starve. Tried both, they won't touch it, but the snails really enjoyed the cucumber.

Should I add algae wafers? Will this cause/increase algae growth in the tank?

Also, my tank has lovely green beard algae, most especially growing on the anubias, but of course they don't touch that stuff. Should I be concerned about this algae, and how do I keep it under control? Reduced lighting by 2 hours a day, seems to help, but what else?

Thanks, a few questions in one post there.

H

I fed my Oto's NLS wafers and they loved them, the wafers will stay stable for 24 hours in water. The wafers themselves will not add cause algae to grow in your tank but make sure you're not over feeding your fish. Some of your other fish might even like them.

How did you feed the zuc and cucumbers and how often? Sometimes they need a little while to realize they are food. I used to blanch mine when I fed them to soften them up a bit. Oto's are sometimes shy so they might have been nibbling on it when you weren't there, they aren't very big so you might not have noticed a decrease in the food.

As far as controling the algae... my only suggestion would be to scrape it off with your finger nail. More plants are always good since algae is caused by extra nutrients in the water... with more plants more of those nutrients would be used up.

It took a few tries until my ottos realized I was offering them food. Once they realized it, they went for it with full gusto. Try spinach leaves; a favorite of theirs. Keep trying with the zucs, just make sure you take it out before it pollutes the water.

I tried zucchini and Cucumber but my fish didn't touch them BUT when i added Watermelon well i had a fish FRENZY and the only thing that was left was the skin and the same thing happened with the Cantalope. I just throw in the leftover watermelon rind with a smidge of the pink stuff and the next day i hunt for the skin. Good luck and about the algae. My algae problems were taken care of largely by my Hornwart that floats on the top of the tank. It also acts as a bit of shade so not as much light reaches the algae. You could try it for a while and see what happens but it might be better to adjust your fertilizer amounts or if you don't fertilize then do bigger or more water changes being sure to remove as much algae as possible. If you have a filter and haven't rinsed it in a while do that at the same time as a BIG water change.

Good luck

L

I have not tried any melons, my plecos and otos love Zuchinni. I usually attach a piece to a fork so it sinks to the bottom. When the veggies are floating, my suckers don't touch them, but when they're on the bottom, there is nothing left by the next day!

• 4 weeks later...
I have not tried any melons, my plecos and otos love Zuchinni. I usually attach a piece to a fork so it sinks to the bottom. When the veggies are floating, my suckers don't touch them, but when they're on the bottom, there is nothing left by the next day!

Thanks all,

I have since tried algae wafers and all of the fish in the tank eat those with gusto, but I am not sure what those ottos are eating, even now. Good news is that there is still 4 of them alive and well. Must be eating something :) I'll try your suggestions. Thanks.

Oh, and as far as the algae, it's still there....I moved my anubias to my other tank where the SAEs cleaned it up quick, but my swords still have the lovely green fuzz. Just cleaned out the filter and reduced lighting a while ago, we'll see how it goes. Thanks for your help!