Changing water and purpose

riflemn

I am setting up a new 50 gal tank and have had it running for about 2-3 weeks without fish. and am looking for a little advice. Everything seems to check out okay as I used Prime in the water and used media from one of my son's tanks. I plan on putting fish in it very soon. Am I required to do a water change even though I have not put fish in it yet? What is the purpose of changing water other than getting rid of fish waste?

Have you been adding ammonia this whole time(fishless cycling)? If you have then you need to do a 100% water change to bring down the nitrates.

If you haven't been fishless cycling all this time then you still have to cycle the tank. All the used filter media you added will now be dead from lack of food(ammonia). So you can either add a few fish and cycle it slowly that way, or start a fishless cycle now.

Have you been adding ammonia this whole time(fishless cycling)? If you have then you need to do a 100% water change to bring down the nitrates.

If you haven't been fishless cycling all this time then you still have to cycle the tank. All the used filter media you added will now be dead from lack of food(ammonia). So you can either add a few fish and cycle it slowly that way, or start a fishless cycle now.

I just checked the nitrates and it is at .01 and ammonia is at .0.

That means your filter is dead. If your filter was good, you'd see at least 5ppm of nitrates. You now have to cycle your tank by adding fish slowly, or fishless cycle, like degrassi mentioned.

Edited by jvision

That means your filter is dead. If your filter was good, you'd see at least 5ppm of nitrates. You now have to cycle your tank by adding fish slowly, or fishless cycle, like degrassi mentioned.

Thanks very much. It is a steep learning curve from 40 years ago:-)

Google fishless cycling, there is lots of info about it. Its the fastest and safest way to cycle your tank.

Yes thank you. I was on google today and there is lots of info. I added a couple of rainbow zebras today to get it started and changed about a 1/4 of the water. I will see how that goes.

Edited by riflemn