Not a green Terror

Bluecan

Hey Guys, Im fairly new to the cichlid world, and picked up a couple green terrors today, after she scooped out the first guy I walked away stating I wanted one more and being distracted by the other tanks, and went to get a tag for my dog , everything was packed up and when I arrived home to add them to tank, I had one green terror and one unknown, im sure somoene can help me identify this fish species and maybe even if its male or female?

Thanks!

Edited by bfc83

Uropthalamus. False red terror is the common name. Pretty damn mean fish too.

I would guess the same.. , whats the size of the tank?

ok thanks guys........20 gallon, trying to build my way up, only thing stopping me is a move thats going to happen in the next month or two then I want to hit up the flowerhorns

then this tank can be a seperator/sick/fry tank or whatever.....

thanks again

ok thanks guys........20 gallon, trying to build my way up, only thing stopping me is a move thats going to happen in the next month or two then I want to hit up the flowerhorns

thanks again

These things can reach 18" I believe. I had one that was 14" and it couldn't be kept with very many fish.

Cichlasoma urophthalmus

That's actually a Cutteri, not a Uropthalamus.

thanks again

These things can reach 18" I believe. I had one that was 14" and it couldn't be kept with very many fish.

Cichlasoma urophthalmus

That's actually a Cutteri, not a Uropthalamus.

---Mine? or the pic he posted after me? The only thing I dont see on mine even with pics ive looked up of Urophthalamus is the spots going up his side, mine has a few on the tale followed by one large one at the end of the tale, but none on his side? I actually purchased a convict to go with them as a 'dither' but they both attacked him immediatly (GT and False Red T) he was up under the pump, so i put him in the backyard pond with the goldfish for now, he's having a blast lol..for now the remaining two are existing pretty peacefully..

I do believe this is a false red terror though, I guess I will have to wait and find out for proof! thanks guys

anyone know any good ideas for aquarium seperators for growing out fish, possibly home made ideas that work and dont look too bad, as i hear the stores charge quite a bit for them.......?! and lastly where I could find flowerhorns/have them shipped to me what my options are?

thanks

It is a uropthalamus. And as for dividers, use eggcrate works like a charm. And IMO, you shouldn't worry about Flowerhorns until you have a tank big enough for the fish you already have.

alright, thanks for the info.....any idea where I could get the eggcrate?

It is a uropthalamus. And as for dividers, use eggcrate works like a charm. And IMO, you shouldn't worry about Flowerhorns until you have a tank big enough for the fish you already have.

alright, thanks for the info.....any idea where I could get the eggcrate?

Any hardware store or lumber yard.

I understand what you're saying, I am just trying to do the research beforehand , ...fill in all the blanks ........What would you recommend for a tank size of tank for these fish? is there a general rule for length of cichlid to gallon of water? What about breeding? .....then is it ok to isolate the pair to a smaller tank i.e 29 gallon? 55 gallon?. I see a lot of pictures online of fish being divided into what i think is a very small space in comparison to the fish within it....

I appologize for my ignorance on a lot things here, i am trying to learn.