Mineralized Soil Subtrate

gdcox76

It's really good stuff.

I made a really really small portion for a 10g for a friend.

It's the best stuff, and cheap to make.

Loaded with ferts, isn't overkill, just a bit messy to work with if you pull out your plants alot.

As for 3m colourquartz no clue.

I just cap with cheap daark gravel from whereever.

YEAH I know 14 pages LOL but the first one or 2 are really the important part. The rest is just people commenting on the process and their results. I am in the planning stages of a 130 Gallon and I think I'm going to give it a try cause I can definitely go for economical options as the amount of substrate required for this tank is going to be a little crazy. I have tried to find a supplier in Calgary for the colorquartz and I have been unsuccessful. I know its not a requirement and I can use anything. I kinda thought I liked the look of the black but now I'm not sure.

YEAH I know 14 pages LOL but the first one or 2 are really the important part. The rest is just people commenting on the process and their results. I am in the planning stages of a 130 Gallon and I think I'm going to give it a try cause I can definitely go for economical options as the amount of substrate required for this tank is going to be a little crazy. I have tried to find a supplier in Calgary for the colorquartz and I have been unsuccessful. I know its not a requirement and I can use anything. I kinda thought I liked the look of the black but now I'm not sure.

where do you get the potash and the dolamite, i think i'm going to try this

Any Garden centre or nursery should have the Muriate of potash, I have located both the clay and the dolomite at a pottery supply store. You can get a form of Dolomite from the nursery as well but that version apparently usually has lime added and that is not good. The stuff from the pottery supply is pure.

I'm going to give it a try as well probably won't have things all set up till October but I'm going to do the "wash" and dry process now while the weather is good for it.

Let me know how it goes I'm very intrigued by this process and its long term stability.

Edited by gdcox76

• 1 month later...

I have finished making my Mineralized soil and have installed it in my tank. I have some extra mixed up with the mineralized top soil and the clay already mixed together. I have extra potash and dolomite as well. If someone thinks they want to give this a try I think there is enough for up to a 36" long tank for 1" deep application.

For reference I purchased the Muriate of potash and the Top Soil (bulk) from Blue Grass Nursery . (Absolutely none of the bagged "Top Soil" I found at Wal Mart, Home Depot etc. had any actuall soil in it.)

The Clay (called Terrastone) and Dolomite I purchased from Ceramics Canada www.ceramicscanada.net ( I have a boat load of both still left if anyone needs some)

Edited by gdcox76