Sick Fish Maybe?

wishe

So: I have a breeding group of Rubys that are in amazing shape, look great breed all the time, now the last couple of days, one of the females is at the top of the tank, and looks like gasping for air. So i checked the levels everything seemed fine, but I did a 40% water change anyway ( cuz it was about that time anyways) I did use Prime dont worry. Today again she is doing the same I did another 30 % today, and Im not sure why she doing this. All have done lately is this....

About 2 or 3 weeks ago I moved the group into a 90 gallon from a 60. They have 5 multis ( shellies, which keep to them self), 5 multi cats, and 8 small dragon blood peacock fry about 1 .5 inch long each. In the whole tank. there is a Rena XP3 and and 12 inch long air rock in there. I'm sure they are getting enough air, and there also live plants swords I think they are called. She is the only one doing this everyone else seems fine and swims along and doesn't seem the least bit bothered. What can this be? Should I put her in a separate tank??? is it something im missing??? errr. Fish lately make me mad!!! lol, but seriously,

I would put her in a hospital tank, something does not seem right with her. Has anything changed since you first posted this thread?

Is she continually swimming near the top?

Maybe put some stability into the tank and a bit of aquarium salt.

I hope she is just stressed and figures things out on her own...

Sorry no one else has replied as I am not the most knowledgable for sure....LOL

It is difficult to say what it can be. I have had a few occasions with similar symptoms but I can not recall it ever occuring with ruby greens. Sometimes they pull through and sometimes not. I have never noticed any spreading to other individuals. Does she look stressed? Is she being picked on by the other fish? If you have an extra tank I suggest removing her and observe for a couple of days to see if she gets better. I find that many times a sick fish do not require any medication, just peace and quiet. If not then you can try with a doze Metronidazole. Keep the lights off and give her a nice place to hide.

Ya it is no change.... She look fine and normal just breathing heavy at the top of the tank... I was think maybe i should clean out the filter? maybe?? I will move her into a tank if she is not better by sat... and the rest of the fish seem to be leaving her alone.