Plywood Aquarium Help

Spinalcore

I'm trying to figure out what the cheapest costing sealant/protection to use on the wood. I have read that you can use Epoxy paint but can't seem to find any prices for it. I found Pool paint for $34 at Home Hardware but I don't know if that would be safe enough to use for fish. I'm planning on making a couple of tanks for my family and myself but don't have much money to spend on the building of the tanks. I have the wood covered as my Stepdad is a framer and going to help with that part, I have also found glass in the freebee section of the bargain finder. so now it is just getting the Sealant for the wood and the Aquarium silicone. The First Tank is planned to be an 88 gallon tank and the second probably 70 gal. The 70 along with a Stand is for the Birthday present for my GF in August. Thank you for the help in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two 60''x30'' 1/2'' thick glass sheets. Going to try one with outdoor quality OSB. Will be lining one with plexi-glass. Tanks should end up being a 155 gallon.

Also have the glass for 55 gallon and possibly a smaller tank. Will keep updating as I get supplies and progress on building.

I am doing some calculations on the size of glass and what may be relistic.

First - if the paint/sealant is not for potable water - DO NOT USE IT"" !!

The Internal Dimmesions will be roughly 60"Lx20"Dx30"H. The Glass is Tempered and roughly 80 to 100 lbs per sheet. I'm going to use plexi glass on the inside to protect the paint and the wood from the plecos. The tanks should be Approximately

62"Lx22"Dx32"H for the total area taken up. 1 will be for Africans and the other will probably be a community Tank. I also have 2 other pieces of the glass that are assembled in the shelving unit that is holding up 2 of my 10 Gallon tanks and a bunch of betta tanks and jars. The glass was originally used in a display shelving system at a store and has proven to be a strong high quality glass.

The plexi-glass is basicly for extra sealant and to protect the paint.

The glass will only be 30" because I am a little worried about trying to Cut it down in size. I plan on testing it for at least a week or 2 before using it. So it won't be in use for atleast 3 weeks after it is put together. I'm getting everything for free so if it blows out the glass or falls apart I will just try again. I will be putting a center support bar in the center of the front for added security to try to reduce the strain and keep the glass from breaking. I'm getting my Stepfather whom is a Framer to help me put it together. I'm not that great with building things using wood. So I have all the supplies at his place at the moment. (Or will have Shortly) Since we are using OSB we will have to do a trial run on the tank anyways. I will be setting it up in my backyard for the trial run since we have more romm in our yard than my parents do.

if the glass is tempered ... it can not be ''CUT''!

If the wooden frame is constructed correctly and properly design the sheet of 1/2'' 60 x 30'' may be maxed out for strenght. It can work, but be careful .

Check out this article. It may answer some of the questions/methods::

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_1700g_tank_2.php

• 2 weeks later...

I have most of the material rounded up now and Have come up wth the Idea to try a 2x4 frame around the outside with a center support 2x4 in the middle of the front I should be assembling the frame as of this Sunday. My stepdad has the sheets of wood at his work for me to use and the rest of the materials are at his house for me. It is going to be a fairly large tank by the time it is built and It will be setup in my back yard for testing how well it stays together and holds water. I will update everyone on the progress again after this weekend. That is aslong as I can make it over there to put it together on Sunday. I have been working on the "blueprints" trying to perfect the Ideas for construction. I think that I may have worked out the assembly problems now.