Economical way to break up a tank.

Fergy

I was just curious what you all use to break line of sight in a tank.

I'm looking at my 33 gal, same foot print as a 25, so it's a little tall for standard methods I think.

I have a terracotta pot, plants, rocks, and all work well on the bottom, but there's nothing in the middle/top.

Anyone have pictures or suggestions on wallet pleasing solutions to this?

I get some taller plants(usually vals as they easily reach the surface) and plant them further out towards the front or middle. That way it makes a wall of vals that breaks up the line of sight from side to side, yet it still looks natural from the front. I also do this with fake plants, works great.

Do vals require co2 and ferts and all that? I'm very low tech when it comes to plants, if they're picky they won't make it. ;)

Any favorite place to get fake plants? Most I see at LFS are pretty pricey for a not too impressive product.

Vallisneria are pretty low maintenance plants. They do ok in lower light, and minimal ferts.

I got my fake plants at the Aquarium club auction for a couple bucks. That would be your best bet, or posting an ad for them in the buy/sell. Sometimes people will give them away or sell them cheap.