Betta Issue

83BULLDOG

Hey all you Betta people I hope you can help me out my daughter has a Male betta in her 10 Gallon com tank everything has been great but yesteday when she checked on her tank she noticed her betta now has a rather large belly it almost looks as if it were pregnant, I am not sure how old the fish is but we have had it roughly 6 months any info would be greatly appreciated.

Quite possibly overfed and constipated depending on how much you have fed him. Bettas are known to keep eating as long as there is food. If the betta is still actve but just looks to have a big belly you may want to just fast him for a couple days and monitor him. If the betta is struggling to get to the surface or just floats in one spot and generally lethargic then most likely he is constipated. If that is the case then you can try a bit of deshelled cooked pea to see if you can get him to pass the blockage. The bits of pea will sink so you might have to hand feed small chunks. Alternatively... holding a mirror up to the tank for a couple minutes gets the male flexing and puffing up and can often make him force whatever he has out of his system. Just dont do it for too long cuz flaring does require lots of energy on the bettas part. I only feed my betta a couple hikari betta pellets a day and I havent had any problems with him getting plugged up in a long time.

A question for you; are the scales protruding? If so, it's dropsy which is a whole other ball game. In any case, keeping the betta warm(80 or so), keeping the water clean and adding a touch of salt or using Indian almond leaves can always perk up a betta. Good luck!!