Advice needed about setup

gdcox76

So if I can figure out what to do about a cylinder in the next week I'll actually have my Co2 all ready ahead of schedule. Where does everyone get their cylinders from and do you rent them or buy them?

Edited by gdcox76

So if I can figure out what to do about a cylinder in the next week I'll actually have my Co2 all ready ahead of schedule. Where does everyone get their cylinders from and do you rent them or buy them?

I got mine from Praxair. They lease them for $50 per year (10 lb bottles). You can get a 5s, 10s, and 20s depending on what your stand will hold inside.

Werner: How long does you 5lb bottle last?

I got mine from Praxair. They lease them for $50 per year (10 lb bottles). You can get a 5s, 10s, and 20s depending on what your stand will hold inside.

Werner: How long does you 5lb bottle last?

No Wait it was $25 a year per bottle. I got 2. One for backup in case it takes me a few days (or longer) to get into town for a fill.

What size tank is that on, Werner? I have a 55g that I want to do CO2 on instead of Excel but I have lower light so I wouldn't need the bottle to have as many bubbles per minute. I'd rather only have to fill CO2 once a year if I could get away with it.

It's a 120 gal. I've only had this tank going for about a year, so it's hard to say exactly how long it lasts. I was using the same CO2 setup on a 66gal before this and a fill lasted about 8 months? There doesn't seem to be a significant difference considering it's almost double the volume. I'll need a couple more years with this one to get an accurate number. ;)

Getting a refill twice a year is hardly inconvenient.

I would concur. My 5lb 'r goes about four months, although the difference here is mine is tuned in with the needle and then runs non-stop until its empty. I just did some quick math ( accounting for shipping and a timer) , now it looks like a soleniod would pay for itself in about one and a half years.