Filtration for 29 gal tank

darkangel

My 10 gal heavily planted shrimp & Galaxy rasbora tank is being up graded to a 29 gal.

Tank will be heavily planted (80 to90%) 4x24 watt T-5's & Co2. My options for filters are a fluval 303 canister or 2x A/C 50 but with the Co2 the A/C's will cause too much surface movement and the Co2 will be useless. The only other spare filter I have is an FX5, a little overkill for a 29 gal. I could also use a powerhead on a large sponge filter, hide it behind the plants and connect a spraybar to the outlet on the powerhead. Any other suggestions are welcome.

A Fluval 205 would be suitable

i've got a 305 on my 45, but I don't know about a 29 gallon...I guess you could try?

And on second thought...since it's heavily planted...you could just use a smaller submersible like one of the rays or the new fluvals...just a thought.

Edited by Wingin' It

The powerhead on a sponge would be fine (that's what I have in my planted shrimp/snail tank). The Fluval 303 could work, too. Maybe stick a T in the output to split it up a bit and slow things down a bit - or just dial back the valves.

Edited by jvision

The powerhead on a sponge would be fine (that's what I have in my planted shrimp/snail tank). The Fluval 303 could work, too. Maybe stick a T in the output to split it up a bit and slow things down a bit - or just dial back the valves.

I was thinking the fluval. I want to try and T it off and put 2 spraybars on it so I can have one at the substrate pointed up and one just below the surface pointed accross and down like I have in my 72. The powerhead sounds good too, I just don't want to put it all together to find out I don't like it and tear it all apart again.

If you're going for looks, the Fluval is definitely less invassive... just a couple small pipes. If you want to slow things down a bit, get some 90* joints from RONA to go around all the corners.