Biotherm Dual Monitor & Controller by Aqua Medic

punman

Biotherm Dual Monitor & Controller. Has anyone used this in conjuction with Biotherm's heating element or any other heater?

I inherited the controller with the heating element new in the box from a friend and wonder how people like it. It appears to have a large digital readout for set temperature and actual temperature. Does that make them better than a straight heater like Ebo-Jager?

I just set it up this afternoon in my 90 gallon tank. The current temp. stands out in the dark of night on the control panel but apart from that I don't see an advantage unless I am missing something in my understanding of the whole concept.

A controller unit seperate from the heater allows for a more electronic/computerized control module and does not have a thermostat directly adjacent to the heating element. The digital readout and seperate probe (that should be placed just upstream of the heater, or on the other side of the tank) allows for more accurate temperature measurement, and not having as many electronics below water reduces the electrocution risk.

Overal, much more functional and accurate way of controlling your temperature.

*Edit: I have a blueline version, essentially the same thing as a biotherm, simply re-badged, and it works wonderfully.

Edited by Funky_Fish14

It's a 500 W heater in a 90 gallon tank. My Ebo-J was a 250W. I hope the thing is fairly reliable - 500W is a lot of heat if the thing were to malfunction; but I will try it for a few days and see what I think. The idea of the sensor being in a different part of the tank makes sense.