plant fertilizer

somnio

i have a 50 gal tank that is lightly planted with sword plants, a java fern, some crypacoryne and some corkscrew val...(don't know the spelling) they are doing ok but some of the swords and corkscrew have some brown patches i was wondering if adding some liquid firtilizer work help? and if so what type should i get.

thanks

its a 50 gal tank with the following:

5 angels

1 kir

4 bolivians

1 bichir

1 faraswella

2 synadontis

1 african butterfly

1 small ghost knife

plants are random

i believe i have the lifeglo for lights, what ever the 67 000 K lights are, they aren't really spots as to browning all around...

hope that helps

water perameters as follows:

nitrites 0ppm

nitrates 0ppm

almonia 0ppm

ph 8.2

so the only thing that is off is the ph, waters changes once ever 2-3 weeks which i probably should do more often otherwise everything is normal, fish aren't stressed. just plant looking alittle brown around the edges

I have bought the coralife fixtures and just replaced the light strip. For my 20g, it cost me about 90 dollars but it was worth it. My plants love me now!!!

okay so how do i get enough light practically and not spending a fortune? the browning is more like one or two leaves, its not like they are dying all together, my swords are even sending out runners.

I have found that swords tend to propagate well when they're stressed (overcrowded, low light, etc.) I think they're trying to preserve themselves by producing new plants that will eventually float away and find a more suitable location somewhere.

It's going to cost you some $$$ to get more light. The cheapest option might be to find a used fixture here in the buy/sell, or DIY something.

If you don't want to upgrade right now, at least make sure your bulbs are replaced regularly (every 6 months).

You should probably be aiming for just over 100watts of light to get moderate lighting levels. Once you go over about 2.5 watts per gallon (mid-high light), you start getting into a position where you will need CO2 addition, etc.

Your 55gal is about 20" deep? A higher intensity light like power compact (compact fluorescent) or T5HO will help penetrate to the bottom.

Some options:

-Coralife 2x65W power compact

-Nova Extreme 2x54W T5HO

-AquaticLife 2x54W T5HO This one can be upgraded down the road.

The power compact fixtures have been around for a while, so you may be able to find a used one more easily than T5HO.

Edited by werner