Catching Fish

timmyg

I have a well planted 90 gal tank with a lot of slate placed around the edges of the tank and smaller pieces placed between plants.

I want to catch 1 of my best aglae eaters (Crossocheilus Latius) but they require I take out all of my slate and wreak havoc on my plants if I try to catch them with my nets.

As soon as I open the top of the tank the algae eaters will hide behind the slate or in my plants. If I feed the fish the eaters wait untill the food settles on the bottom of the tank or the top is closed to feed.

Does anyone have a trick for catching avoidant fish? a fish trap? know where one could be purchased?

I cut the spout off a 4 liter milk jug to make it wider (so the weighted zucchini would fit in) and set it in the tank, spout up, with some weight in the bottom. Then I left it for a few hours, pulled it out and poured the contents into a pail and picked the bristlenoses I wanted and dumped the rest back in. Might work with your fish as well.

Edited by arixonbarnes

Have you tried using a flashlight at night with the lights turned out?

Unfortunately, it might require that you get up in the middle of the night, but I have done it.

I really, really wanted to get that fish out.

Have you tried using a flashlight at night with the lights turned out?

Unfortunately, it might require that you get up in the middle of the night, but I have done it.

I really, really wanted to get that fish out.

This method works great most of the time. You could also wait a few hours after lights go out or do it first thing in the morning before lights go on. SAE's are some of the tougher quicker fish to catch so I do feel your pain there.

i tried the 2l pop bottle method once. there was two fish i wanted to catch, i caught one of them quickly. but i left it over night and one of the clown loaches went in with a few other fish. when i came back the clown loach and one other fish was dead.

so if you do try that method i wouldnt let it go unattended for too long.

• 4 weeks later...