Going techier?

nighthawk

I am considering (finally) adding CO2 to the bigger planted tank. It's been doing ok with Excel for a couple years, but I think I am mentally prepared to have a high-pressure canister, all ready to explode a la Mythbusters in my house. :boxed:

Any opinions on the best style to get and where to get it? I have seen the Red Sea systems around, but they seem fairly expensive for what you actually get. It's a 90 gal that I'd be putting it on, so the DIY option isn't one I've ever really considered, and I think "paintball" canisters would likely be insufficient.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

The cylinder should be available locally- industrial gas/welding suppliers, home brewing shops, fire extinguisher/safety places, etc. You may be able to get a regulator with it.

If not, the Milwaukee regulator/needle valve/solenoid unit is about the cheapest at $120ish. However, some people have had issues with getting a consistent bubble rate with it.

Mine haven't exploded yet, but I did have an (almost) empty cylinder vent in the car when I was taking it in for a refill- it wasn't well secured and was rolling around. There wasn't much CO2 left in it, so I just opened the windows and kept on driving. :smokey:

I've been told that you can get a CO2 system for around $150 if you get your parts from welding supply shops - I looked into it about 5 yrs ago, but decided to just buy the package at Nature's Corner. Henry & Gillian usually give a deal to AA members, and they have everything you need at one place.

Go for it!! Once you have a pressurised cylinder you will never look back. I built an excellent system from a welding supply. The finite control is spectacular! I needed an adapter as the regulator was for - I think , NITROGEN GAS ?. I like, that with a customer owned bottle, I do not have to worry about inspection schedules. When it becomes empty I take it in for exchange, takes all of about five minutes.

Go for it!! Once you have a pressurised cylinder you will never look back. I built an excellent system from a welding supply. The finite control is spectacular! I needed an adapter as the regulator was for - I think , NITROGEN GAS ?. I like, that with a customer owned bottle, I do not have to worry about inspection schedules. When it becomes empty I take it in for exchange, takes all of about five minutes.

Is there a link with more info about building a c02 system from a welding supply? Sounds interesting.

I have been thinking of getting a CO2 System as well and I am curious since you mention inspection schedules which I assume is on the tank itself and required by the company filling the tank? Just trying to get a full picture of what is involved in buying a system and tank and any hassles or difficulties etc involved with getting fills done.

I have been thinking of getting a CO2 System as well and I am curious since you mention inspection schedules which I assume is on the tank itself and required by the company filling the tank? Just trying to get a full picture of what is involved in buying a system and tank and any hassles or difficulties etc involved with getting fills done.

Tanks have to be re-certified every 5 years. They should have a date stamp somewhere on the tank to indicate when it was done last. You can get it done here in Calgary at Sprouse Fire and Safety (they do re-fills too). I think I paid about $50ish for both the testing and fill last time I had it done. That was a couple years ago...

Is there a link with more info about building a c02 system from a welding supply? Sounds interesting.

I never found the info from any one place, I just read on the various plant forums to get the equipment at welding supply shops. I had a welder friend of mine source out some of the equipment, but I didn't want to wait any longer for our schedules to cross, so I just bought the whole system at NC.

www.praxair.com

MIG/TIG flow regulator model # PRS23508

Brass cylinder adaptor model # PRS27108 ( this gets you CGA-320 to CGA 580 )

I have been thinking of getting a CO2 System as well and I am curious since you mention inspection schedules which I assume is on the tank itself and required by the company filling the tank? YES

Just trying to get a full picture of what is involved in buying a system and tank and any hassles or difficulties etc involved with getting fills done.

Disregarding the original purchase my visits to that establishment are never more than five minutes @ a time. In my head I am not there for a fill ; I slap the bottle on the counter , the dude runs to fetch a full one, takes my forty five bucks , I am on my way.

I have yet to get the same bottle back , yet I own it ? Curious. Renting to me is a cash grab. If you are buying a cylinder it is because you are tired of DIY. That indicates that you are in for the long haul. Bite the bullet - buy the cylinder and never pay "rent" again

Full tanks @ room temp. are about 975 (? Kpa?) units they stay there forever until ( like a Ford truck ) once it moves off full and begins to indacate less than full -- you are almost out of gas. When running 24/7 you have about a week left

I forgets. . . You may need to puchase a ( male) barbed output to connect the flexible tubeing

Get the regulator and output first , take the output to the Ag supply then buy tube to match.

"How do I reduce the tubeing to the diffuser ?" you ask

Take apart a "click " pen

• stuff the writing end in the standard aquarium sized tubeing

-

• stuff the threaded end on the larger CO2 tubeing

Hey worked for me

=== how "techier" is that?

Edited by jewels