Evil killifish!

kelseylynn

I picked up a small pair of Gardneri killifish at Big Al's today - after reading everywhere that they were peaceful community fish - and put them in my community tank with some threadfin rainbowfish and spotted blue-eye rainbowfish. I thought it would be fine because all the fish are roughly the same size. Right now the male killifish is systematically hunting down and killing all my rainbowfish! I can't believe it! I have nowhere to move them to because it's the only tank I've got set up.

I must be cursed because every time I buy some "small, peaceful, shy" community fish it turns out to be a total bully. Don't even get me started on my "harmless" croaking gouramis. I can't get a break!

Oh that sucks...can't say i've ever put any of my killifish in with other fish before other than with ones of their own. Maybe try putting in a spawn mop?? More plants??

But maybe calling and asking the store if they'll allow a trade would be better?

i have put my gardneri's in with other fish in various tanks with different fish even with guppies and never had a problem. try and switch the fish at the store.

I have 3 golden wonders that dominate the top level of my community tank. They are pretty big and not so nice, but there seems to be an agreement with the community that the killi's own the top and all is good.

They can be real dicks if my other fish want to come and 'play' up there.

I was a bit apprehensive about leaving them in there overnight but when I woke up I'd only lost my 3 smallest rainbowfish and everyone else (shrimp included) seem fine. The male killie is aggressively guarding a corner of the tank but he seems to have settled down a bit. Hopefully it will work out after all! :thumbs: I've wanted gardneri for ages and it would be so disappointing to bring them back to the store.

If worst comes to worst you could put them in a deep pail not to full of water to prevent them from jumping out of the tank, then just add an airstone and change then water everyday or two. This should be okay for killies considering they live in muck puddles for up to six months in the wild. I have kept killis before and there aggression varies between species. Most of them will eat other fish if they have the chance (live food is there diet) or feel threatened. I kept my Golden Wonder, Night Gobbies and Peacock gobbies together and they were fine until my overly large golden had a opportunity to swallow my peacock gobbie when she was off her guard. As for killies and rainbows, make sure the rainbows are full grown and the killies are full grown that way they wont eat one another. Rainbows are notorious for eating eggs, fry and juvenile fish, and if overly hungry they will eat larger fish. I have had my rainbows eat my full grown furcatas because they hadn't been fed in a couple days

I ended up trading them in for more rainbows. I would have loved to keep the killies on their own in a small tank, but I've promised my boyfriend not to set up any more tanks! Hopefully one day down the road I can try again.

I'm amazed that a Golden Wonder could eat a peacock goby! They look so small and harmless.